10 Best Free Image Map Generator Software for Windows
Here is a list of Best Free Image Map Generator Software for Windows. These are the free software which let you create image map easily. Most of these generate HTML code for created image map which can be copied. Plus, many of these software let you export image map to a local file such as MAP, HTML, ASPX, etc.
An image map is basically an image with multiple clickable regions which navigate users to predefined links or locations. Image maps are mostly used in web development. It can be created with a text editor too, but you need to know exact programming codes and the coordinates of particular area in the image to make it clickable. This can get tiresome with a text editor, hence I have compiled a list of dedicated image map creator software which serve the purpose without any hassle.
To create image map, these software provide multiple selection tools to select specific regions in image, such as rectangle, circle, polygon, freehand, etc. Now, to make the selected regions clickable, you need to configure respective properties including Link Type, Link, ALT Text, Title, Target Frame Name, Mouse Actions (onclick, onblur, ondblclick, etc.), and more. In some of these software, you can also provide a local file in the URL field, such as HTML, ASP, PHP, image, etc.
A few of these software are primarily used for different tasks; creating an image map is an added utility of such software. With these, you can also create/edit images, make documents with image maps, create spreadsheets, make presentations, etc.
My Favorite Free Image Map Generator Software for Windows:
LibreOffice is one of my favorite software to create image map. It lets you create separate image maps as well as lets you generate documents with multiple image maps. Plus, it is an office suite, so you get a lot of office software which can be used to perform different tasks.
I also liked GIMP as it is very easy to use and you can also carry out various other graphics related tasks in it.
If you want a dedicated software which only serves the purpose of image map creation, go for X-Map or Mcc HTML Mapper.
LibreOffice is a great alternative to an image map generator software on this list. It is a primarily a featured office suite with a variety of office software including LibreOffice Writer, LibreOffice Calc, LibreOffice Impress, LibreOffice Math, LibreOfficeDraw, etc. You can use its LibreOffice Writer software in order to create image map. How? Let’s checkout.
How to create image map using LibreOffice:
- Launch LibreOffice Writer and import an image to an empty document by using Insert > Image option. Or, you can also import a document containing images for which you want to generate image map.
- Next, select the image and go to Edit > ImageMap option and it will open up an ImageMap Editor.
- In the ImageMap Editor, you can select a region as rectangle, ellipse, polygon, or free from polygon.
- Now, enter Address, Text, and Frame to make the region clickable.
- In the same way, you can make multiple clickable regions in order to create image map.
- At last, you can save the image map in different map types including MAP – CERN, MAP – NCSA, and SIP – StarView ImageMap.
- In the ImageMap Editor window, you can find useful options like Macros, Properties, Edit Points, Move Points, etc.
- You can save documents with image maps in various formats including HTML, DOC, DOCX, XML, TXT, RTF, etc.
- It lets you encrypt documents before exporting them.
- It provides a Multi Save feature to save the same document in multiple formats at once.
If you’re a regular user of LibreOffice, it is the best option to create image maps. In it, you have the flexibility to create individual image maps or create documents with multiple image maps. Isn’t that great?
GIMP is a free open source image map generator for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is basically a graphics editor software with a feature rich set of editing and drawing tools. Image map creation is one of its many features. Let’s see how you can generate image map using this software.
How to create image map using GIMP:
- Firstly, open an image in this software.
- Now, go to its Filters menu and click on Web > Image Map option.
- In the new image map creator window, you can use rectangle, circle, or polygon tool in order to specify a clickable area.
- In a similar manner, you can add multiple clickable regions in an image to generate image map.
- Finally, you can save the created image map in a .MAP file.
- Some handy tools and features can be found in its Image Map Editor, such as Edit Map Info, Zoom In/Out, View Source Code, Preferences (Map Type (NCSA, CERN, CSIM), Show URL Tip, etc.), and more.
- It can be used to create GIF animations too.
- It supports a wide number of input and output graphics formats such as PNG, JPG, BMP, EPS, ICO, WMF, PS, PDF, etc.
It is one of the best image map generators as you can perform a lot of graphics related tasks in it.
X-Map is a nice free image map generator software for Windows. It is a straightforward software to create image maps and to generate respective HTML code. It also lets you save image map locally in a supported file format.
How to create image map using X-Map:
- From the Toolbox section, open an image in BMP, GIF, JPG, or PNG format.
- Now, select a rectangular, circular, or polygon region on the image to make it clickable.
- Next, you can configure properties of clickable region including link, ID, target, title, ALT text, etc.
- As you configure these properties, you can view the HTML code in a window below.
In similar manner, you can make many clickable regions in an image and get the whole HTML code for image map.
- You can preview image map in web browser to have look at final outcome.
- It lets you save image map in various formats including ASPX, HTML, MAP, and RTF.
- You can save the image map in a supported image format including JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, and WMF.
X-Map is a great image map generator software with all essential features to create image map.
Mcc HTML Mapper
Mcc HTML Mapper is another nice free image map generator software for Windows. You can easily create clickable images using it. It basically generates HTML for created image maps like other listed software on this list.
How to create image map using Mcc HTML Mapper:
- At first, open an image in a supported format such as PNG, JPEG, GIF, ICO, TIFF, BMP, etc.
- Next, from the toolbar or Tools menu, choose a selection tool (rectangle, circle, polygon, freehand) to set a region which you want to make clickable.
- Now, from left panel, add region (item) properties including HREF (URL or local file), ALT text, title, class, etc. If you want to add more properties like frame, onclick, onblur, access key, etc., you can select and add them from the drop down menu.
- You can create as many clickable regions in an image in similar manner.
- The HTML code for the image map can be viewed and copied from the bottom of the interface.
- You can also export the image map to a local HTML file. While doing so, you can customize template (html4, html5, xhtml1, etc.), encoding, title, and description.
- It provides a Display in Web Browser feature when you export image map to HTML file.
It is one of the easiest to use software to create image maps. Plus, it is portable, so you don’t even to need to go through installation to use it. Just run it from a portable storage device and use on the go.
Note: When you first launch this software, its interface is displayed in the French language. To change it to English, select the respective option from the “Langue” menu and restart the software.
Handy Image Mapper
Handy Image Mapper is yet another simple free image map generator for Windows. It is very easy to create image map in it; just follow below steps.
How to create image map using Handy Image Mapper:
- Open an image in a supported format including GIF, JPG, BMP, and PNG.
- Select an area on image in the form of rectangle, circle, or polygon.
- Setup properties of created region to make it clickable including HREF (link or local HTML/PHP/XML/ASP/Image file), Tooltip, and Map name.
- Follow above two steps to make multiple clickable regions.
- Finally, copy the image map code using Place On Clipboard option.
You can enable or disable “insert image tag” option while copying the code for image map.
Handy Image Mapper is an easy to use software to create image map code without much hassle.
Solen Image Mapper
Solen Image Mapper is the next free image map generator software for Windows. It basically creates image map links which can be used directly during the creation of websites. It supports GIF, BMP, JPG, and PCX image formats as input.
It is a portable software, so you don’t need to install it on your system to use it. Just launch its application file and use it on the go.
How to create image map using Solen Image Mapper:
- First, click on New button and insert an image using its inbuilt file explorer.
- Now, you can use rectangular region or circular region tool from the toolbar to select a region on the image.
- As you select a region, it asks you to give URL link to make clickable region. As you insert a URL link, it displays HTML codes for different clickable regions in the image, which you can copy and use.
It also displays region information which can be edited manually.
It is a nice and hassle-free software to create image map codes which can be embedded into HTML websites.
JImageMapper is a Java-based portable image map generator for Windows. You need to have Java installed on your system to be able to run it.
How to create image map using this free portable software:
- Open an image in PNG, JPG, GIF, or any other supported format.
- Now, click on rectangle, circle, or polygon tool to select a region in the desired form.
- After that, provide details of clickable region which are URL, ALT Text, Title, and events including onMouseOver, onMouseOut, and onClick.
- Similarly, create multiple clickable regions in an image.
- When you’re done, click on Generate HTML button and it will display HTML code for image map which can be copied to clipboard.
It is a simple HTML image map generator which can be used without installation.
Meracl ImageMap Generator
Meracl ImageMap Generator is a simple free image map generator software for Windows. It lets you import image and then create multiple clickable regions in it to generate image map. To simplify the process for you, here are the exact steps to follow in order to create image map using it.
How to create image map using this free software:
- Go to File > New Image Map and import an image from HTML file or hard drive (JPG, GIF, BMP). If you import an HTML file, it displays all embedded images from which you can choose an image in a supported format to generate image map.
- After importing an image, select rectangle, circle, or polygon tool and drop it over the area of image which you want to make clickable. You can later adjust the size of the clickable region using mouse.
- Now, configure properties of clickable region including Link, Add local HTML file, Frame target, Alternate text, and Color of shape.
- This way, you can make a number of clickable regions in an image.
- At last, click on File > Save Image Map option to generate HTML code for created image map. The HTML code can be copied to the clipboard or saved to an HTML file.
This is another handy image map generator which can be used to easily create image map.
Paint.NET is a popular image editing software for Windows. It can also be used as an image map generator. Let’s see how.
How to create image map using Paint.NET:
Paint.NET can generate image map, but there is a trick to that. You need to use an additional plugin called Create Image-Map to be able to create image map using it. To download the plugin, go to this link. After downloading this plugin, extract the ZIP folder and copy all the files to the Effects subfolder of installed Paint.NET folder. Now, restart Paint.NET and follow these steps to create image map:
- Open an image and go to Effects menu > Image Application > Create Image Map option.
- In the new window, you can click on an area on image and name it. It will display the coordinates in a side panel.
- Repeat above step to create multiple clickable areas on the image.
- Now, click on Ok option and it will generate Image Map code.
In the generated image map code, you can enter URL link in “href” tag of each clickable area. This code can be copied and embedded into your HTML website.
Paint.NET is a featured photo editing software. So, you can find a lot of photo editing as well as drawing tools in this software. Plus, there are multiple plugins to enhance its functionality. You can check some of those plugins in this article > Plugins for Paint.NET.
In case you’re a regular user of Paint.NET, it is a convenient option to create image map.
FreeImageMapper is a free portable image map generator software for Windows. It is another software which generates image map code which can be embedded into HTML websites.
How to create image map using this free portable software:
- Go to File menu > Bitmap option and import a BMP image to this software.
- Now, using Tools menu or side toolbar, you can select a region to make it clickable. You can select a region as a rectangle or circle.
- After selecting a region, double click it and enter the navigation link and title.
- At last, you can save the clickable image as FreeImageMapper file (.html).
You can open this HTML file in a Notepad editor and get the code which can be used in your website.
It only supports BMP images as input which is the main limitation of this software.
It is a decent image map generator software with an easy to use GUI. Also, as it is portable, you can use this software on the go.
We are the team behind some of the most popular tech blogs, like: I LoveFree Software and Windows 8 Freeware.More About Us
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014