Here is a list of Best Free Image Splitter Software for Windows. Using any of these freeware, you can slice a large image into multiple smaller parts. Now, this can be done based on two parameters, which are:
- Based on number of rows and columns: You can specify number of rows and columns to split an image into.
- Based on pixel size: You can specify horizontal and vertical pixel size of each tile image, in order to split the input image. Before the actual splitting of the image, you can also view the number of output images based on the entered pixel size.
While some of these image divider software provide both the above options, other provide either of the two to split image. In many of them, you will be able to batch split images i.e. split multiple images into smaller parts simultaneously.
The supported image formats by these image splitter freeware include the common ones, like JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP, TIFF, etc.
This list contains dedicated photo splitter software as well as some image editors. Scroll down to see the full list and find one which suits your need.
My Favorite Image Splitter Software:
PhotoScape is one of my favorite image divider software. It works effortlessly and lets you batch split images. Picosomos is another good image splitter as it provides flexibility to save individual tile images. For a dedicated utility, I would recommend ImageCool Free Image Splitter.
Also, checkout the lists of best free File Splitter, Video Splitter, and Audio Splitter software for Windows.
PhotoScape is a free photo editing software for Windows. It is one of the few image editor which works as image splitter software too. Not one, you can split multiple images simultaneously.
How to Split Images in batch using this free Image Splitter:
As you launch this software, you will see many utility tools which are used for image processing. These tools include Editor, Screen Capture, Rename, Combine, Batch Editor, etc. You will find a Splitter tool too there. As you click on it, a new window opens up where you need to add desired pictures. Now, you have an option to split images in number of rows and columns, or based on pixel size of each tile image. As you enter your specification, you can see the preview of output in the same window. Finally, you need to hit the Split button to save output while choosing the output format and location.
For both input and output, it supports JPG, PNG, GIF, and BMP formats
PhotoScape is a feature rich image editor software. You can batch edit photos, combine photos into one, create an animated GIF with multiple photos, convert RAW images, etc. You can check its review here > PhotoScape Review.
Home Page Download Page
Picosomos is a set of multiple tools which can be used for image processing, such as editing, screen recording, optimizing images, page designing, etc. It also provides a tool called “Crop & Split” using which you can divide an image into multiple parts.
To use it as an image splitter, open the desired image and click on Split tab on the right side of the interface. Here, you can choose number of rows and columns to split the current image into. You can also enter desired width and height for each tile image to do the same. The preview of the image as you apply changes can be seen on its interface. To save tile images, simply click on Save button and choose output format and location.
You can save the sliced images in JPG, PNG, GIF, WebP, and BMP image formats.
Other features to look out for:
- If you wish, you can even batch split images. Just add desired images from the bottom of its interface and use the same steps as discussed above. Sliced images of each picture is stored in different folders at provided location.
- You can combine the tile images using Export to combine option. Here, you get to import some another pic to add to the combined image and customize cell width and height, rotation angle, outer margin, outline thickness, outline color, etc.
- Using the same “Export to combine” option, you can save individual tile images in any of the supported formats.
Home Page Download Page
GIMP is a famous photo editor for various platforms including Windows and Linux. This software requires a plugin in order to support image splitting.
To split image in GIMP:
To use it as a image splitter, download the required plugin. Now, you need to copy and paste downloaded SCM file (script file) to the installed GIMP folder. To be precise, you need to paste it to GIMP 2 > share > gimp > 2.0 > scripts folder. Restart GIMP and add an image to slice into multiple parts. After that, go to Filters menu > ATG > Image Slice option. You can divide an image into several parts by specifying number of rows and columns. At last, you can choose output format (PNG, JPG, BMP, TIF, XCF) other than original one, specify output location, and click on OK.
GIMP can be used for many other purposes e.g. checking image DPI, changing image DPI, converting WebP to PNG, etc.
Home Page Download Page
ImageCool Free Image Splitter
ImageCool Free Image Splitter is another image splitter software in this list. It provides its own file explorer to select a folder to add an image to split it. As you open an image, go to Tools > Image Splitter. A new Splitter window will open up, where you can divide the image into multiple equal parts. To choose multiple images from the same folder in order to split them, just click on respective check-boxes of the images accessible at the right panel of the interface.
To Split image using this image splitter freeware:
In the Splitter window, you get to choose following splitting methods:
- Based on number of vertical and horizontal lines: Use this method to split an image based on number of rows and columns. You can add multiple vertical (column) and horizontal (row) lines to split the image, using the dedicated options provided below its interface. You can adjust the size of particular row or column by holding the line using mouse.
- Based on unit size: You can enter per unit size in horizontal and vertical pixels, according to which it divides the image. As you do that, it displays the number of rows and columns the image will be divided into, based on the entered unit size.
Now as per your preference, you can choose to split current image or all selected images at once.
It supports output image formats including JPG, BMP, TIF, GIF, and PNG.
Home Page Download Page
TileMage Image Splitter
TileMage Image Splitter is yet another free image splitter software for Windows. It lets you split an image into multiple parts in just a few steps (discussed below).
As you add an image to it, it shows image thumbnail with information including its dimensions, resolution, and file size. Now to split the image, you can select the number of rows and columns to split the image into. As you enter these parameters, you see each tile dimensions including width, height, and total number of tiles. Simply click on the Split button to let it start dividing the image into chosen number of parts. When you click on Split button, you get to choose various output parameters which include renaming patterns, output format, and output folder.
You can even split multiple images at once using this image divider software. For that, move to Batch Mode tab provided on its interface.
It supports JPEG, PNG, BMP, EMF, WMF, and GIF image formats.
TileMage Image Splitter is a dedicated software to split image. It is a simple and easy to use freeware. Home Page Download Page
Phatboy ImageSlicer is another freeware in this list of image splitter software for Windows. As the name suggests, it is a dedicated utility to slice an image into multiple parts.
Use Open option to add an image to the software. The image can be of format JPG, BMP, or GIF. After adding the image, you can see its preview on its interface. Now to split the image, choose size of each tile in horizontal and vertical pixels. You can enter a custom size, or choose some provided standard tile size like 16×16, 32×32, etc. As you enter the size, you can view number of tiles below its interface. To see the preview of blue print of the output sliced images, click on Preview Tiles button (as shown in above screenshot). Finally, choose output directory, specify file name, and click on Save. The image will split into specified number of parts.
It saves the output images in BMP format only. Home Page Download Page
MapSplitter is a free and portable image splitter software for Windows.
To start with, you can add an image by simply browsing it on your PC and click on Load button to upload it. Now, you can choose number of parts to split an image into. You can specify whether the parts should be less than, greater than, or equal to the specified number. It lets you customize orientation of output images to Landscape or Portrait, as per your choice. In addition, you can also choose desired border width, enable “Also generate corners” option, etc. To start the image splitting process, you need to specify renaming pattern and output directory, and finally click on Start button.
It is one of the simplest photo splitter in this list. Home Page Download Page
Paint.NET needs no introduction as it is one of the most popular photo editor software for Windows. Although it doesn’t provide an image splitter tool inherently, but you can use an additional plugin to slice an image.
How to split an image in Paint.NET:
- As mentioned above, you need to download a plugin which you can do from here > Image Tiling FileType Plugin. After downloading the plugin ZIP folder, extract it. In the extracted folder, you will see a “TileImageFileType.dll” file. You need to copy and paste this file to the installed Paint.NET folder > FileTypes subfolder.
- Now, restart Paint.NET and open a desired image which you want to cut into multiple parts. Go to File > Save as option, choose “Image Tiles (ZIP)” as Save as type, and click on Save. After that, you will see Save Configuration dialog box. Here, you can adjust tile size. I am not sure whether this title size refers to horizontal or vertical pixel size. You can play around with it as long as you get desired sliced images. The tile images are saved in a ZIP folder on clicking on Save button.
As there is no clear option to customize the tile size, Paint.NET lies at the bottom of this list of free image splitter software. But if you are a regular user, you might find it convenient to split an image using it. Home Page Download Page
SplitM is another portable photo splitter for Windows. It lets you split an image into numerous parts, or even batch split images. Just add a source folder containing images, enter maximum width to height ratio, select destination folder, select output image format, and click on Start Conversion button. It supports JPEG, PNG, GIF, and TIFF image formats. Home Page Download Page