9 Best Free Route Creator Software For Windows
Here is a list of best free route creator software for Windows. These freeware are basically used for creating route maps by adding various waypoints. To add waypoints, you can either manually enter location coordinates and other info or you can use map to locate various places in a route. You can create multiple routes in a single map in most of these. After creating a route map, you can save it in various file formats including GPX, KML, CSV, Image, SVG, etc. You can also edit existing file in supported formats.
These software provide many useful tools to manage created routes. These include compress route, expand routes, reverse routes, convert route to track log, combine routes, etc. These software also calculate and display statistics related to created routes, such as total length, driving time, duration, average distance between points, maximum speed, etc. There are more useful features are provided by these route map creators including route finder, length calculator, tracklog reducer, refine route selecting OSRM routing engine, etc.
My Favorite Route Creator Software For Windows
GPS TrackMaker and GPS Utility are two of my favorite route creator software in this list. Both are feature rich software and are also easy to use. You can find Compress route, Expand routes, Chart routes, Reverse routes, Convert route to track log, Create survey lines, Fragment Tracklogs, Cartographic Length, Detect Points in Segment, etc. features in these software.
GPS TrackMaker is a free route creator software for Windows. It is basically a freeware for GPS devices for creating waypoints, tracks, and routes. Its very easy to create route maps using it. Let’s see how.
How to create a route map using this free software
- Firstly, you can choose a background map (North and Central America, South America, or insert a map image) or simply choose a plain background with no map to draw a route.
- Now, you can start drawing waypoints using pencil tool to create a route map. You can later customize waypoint properties including symbol, GPS coordinates, altitude, name, description, etc.
- From Draw menu > Create Routes option, you can connect waypoints in order to make a complete route. You can create multiple routes in a single map. If you wish, you can reverse the created routes.
- To save the route map, you can export it to a file in formats like TXT, GPX, KML, RTE, MAP, etc.
This route map creator is quite feature rich yet very user friendly. It provides a toolbar to quickly access drawing and route map creating tools. You can customize a route map by using features like drawing continuous Line, freehand drawing, shapes, etc., adding route text, show tracks by colors, etc. It provides a lot more useful features to help you easily create route maps and track segments. These include Select Waypoints By Symbol, Change Selected Waypoints, Select Waypoints Far From Routes, Tracklog Reducer, Fragment Tracklogs, Cartographic Length, Detect Points in Segment, Calculate Length, Tracklog Speeds, etc. It also displays route information such as length between two route points, total points, segments, azimuth, etc. It also lets you edit, merge, or convert supported files.
GPeS TrackMaker is one of the best route creator software which is quite feature packed yet extremely user friendly software.
GPS Utility is a nice simple route creator software for Windows. It lets you add waypoints and create a route map using them. Let’s see the step by step procedure to create route:
- First, add waypoints and to do so, you need to manually enter waypoint properties which include coordinates, altitude, type, ID, symbol, direction, etc. You can also enable Map view and load a map image to locate waypoints on the map.
- Now, using Tools > Insert in Route option, you can create a route using selected waypoints. Following this simple step again, you can create multiple routes in a single route map file.
- You can view information and calculations related to created routes, such as total distance, average speed, total duration, etc. It lets you select an option to define leg speed like average route speed, total route duration, Naismith’s rule, etc. You can also copy data table to the clipboard.
- If you wish, you can use tools like compress route, expand routes, chart routes, reverse routes, convert route to track log, create survey lines, etc. Some other tools worth mentioning include cluster waypoints, generate waypoint grid, sort waypoints, average highlighted waypoints, calibrate altitude, etc. You can also view and save route information.
- Now, you can save created routes in a supported file. The supported file formats include TXT, CSV, TCX, KML, WPT, GPX, etc.
You can also merge any of supported files in this route map creator.
Note: In this free version of GPS Utility, you have few restrictions such as you can’t edit existing files, customize view styles, etc. You need to buy its pro version in order to remove these and other limitations.
Garmin BaseCamp is quite a popular GIS software for Windows. It lets you create routes as well as tracks. You can add waypoints using the map and then use them to create routes. All created waypoints and routes are accessible from left panel of the interface. The created route map can be saved as GPX, KML, KMZ, LOC, TCX, etc. files.
Key features of this free route map creator
- It provides options like Optimize Route, Invert Route, Create Track From Selected Route, Measure, etc.
- It displays route direction which can be directly printed.
- You can customize route by choosing routing profile such as transportation, route preference (faster time or shorter distance), etc.
- It lets you play route animation too.
- It provides useful options like Send File to Device, Find Points of Interest, Trip Planner, etc. too.
ITN Converter is another free route creator software for Windows. It is an extremely simple software to create route maps. All you have to manually insert waypoints with their respective longitude and latitude coordinates. If you want to locate waypoints on the map, use its Editor option. It provides a lot of map services to choose from, such as Google Maps, ArcGIS World Map, OpenStreetMap, HERE Map, Bing Maps, etc. You can use options like Get Directions, Show entire itinerary, Optimise itinerary, etc. You can rearrange or reverse the order of waypoints. At last, select a desired format to save route map and hit the Export button. The supported file formats include GPX, KML, RTE, XML, ITF, etc.
If you want a simple and straightforward route map creator, then go for it.
Viking is the next free route creator software for Windows in this list. To create a route map in it, follow the below steps:
- First, add a New TrackWaypoint Layer from Layers menu. While doing so, you can setup basic configurations such as color, size, marker, etc.
- You can now add waypoints to locate different places which you want to include in a route map. To do so, use Create Waypoint tool present on the toolbar. You need to specify waypoint location coordinates, altitude, symbol, name, description, etc.
- Now, select Create Route tool from the toolbar, name the route, and connect the waypoints in a desired sequence to create a route. In similar manner, you can create multiple routes.
- You can customize and manage routes using options like combine, split, reverse, refine route selecting OSRM routing engine, etc. You can view basic route information and statistics like length, average distance between trackpoints, maximum speed, etc.
- To save a route map, you can use Export option and save the route in GPX or KML file format.
It lets you add multiple layers to a file which include Aggregate, Coordinate, GeoRef Map, GPS, Map, and DEM layers. It provides a Route Finder tool too.
GpsPrune is a portable route creator for Windows. Like other software in this list, you need to enter location coordinates to locate different places in a route. You can also create a series of waypoints to create a route. It lets you create waypoints using map or you can manually enter coordinates to do the same. You can compress track/route, delete points, duplicate points, rearrange waypoints, sew track segments together, etc. To save a route map, it supports GPX, KML, POV, SVG, Text, and Image file formats.
JGPSTrackEdit is a free, portable route creator software for Windows. You don’t need to install it, just run it when required and create route maps.
On its main interface, you can view different sections including map, waypoints, route information, etc. You can create a new track using Track > New option. Just draw and connect waypoints on the map. It lets you draw points in append or append routing mode. You can later customize created waypoints by entering exact location coordinates, elevation, etc. It calculates and displays route information including total length, driving time, duration, graph, etc. It provides various map view customization options including show day tour marker, show coordinates, show point information, distance measurement, show track length, etc. The created route map or track can be exported as GPX, KML, ASC, PNG, etc. file.
It provides some other useful features including reverse tracks, split tracks, merge tracks, compress points, correct points, remove invalid points, etc.
EasyGPS is one more software which lets you save GPS information in form of waypoints, routes, tracks, etc. You can create routes by adding waypoints and connecting them. To insert waypoints, you need to add coordinates and specify waypoint symbol, label, etc. You can create a route by setting up basic properties like route name, route type, name on GPS, line color, description, etc. It provides flexibility to create multiple routes in a single map. It displays total route length of each created route. It supports only GPX file format to save a route map.
Route Generator is one more free route creator software in this list. It is one of the easiest software to create a route map. And, it creates output route in form of AVI video file and BMP image streams.
To start with, you can open a map image or import one from Google Maps. Now, from Tools menu, enable Draw mode and draw route by connecting different points on the map. You can customize route line width, style, and color, select vehicle for the route, etc. You can play the route by setting a time period (in seconds). After creating a route, the route is generated as AVI video and BMP images. To create movie of created route, you can customize FPS, Bitrate, etc. by going to Edit > Preferences.
We are the team behind some of the most popular tech blogs, like: I LoveFree Software and Windows 8 Freeware.More About Us
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014