Here is a list of best free 3DS to FBX converter software for Windows. 3DS or 3D Studio Scene is a 3D image format that contains 3D models, mesh data, material attributes, bitmap references, etc. Similar to 3DS, FBX or Filmbox format also carries various types of 3D model data. In case you want to convert a 3D model from 3DS file format to FBX, you need a software that supports the conversion. There are plenty of them and few are free ones. This list contains all the free software which let you convert 3DS to FBX.
In most of these converters, you can also view and edit the 3DS file model before starting the conversion. To view a 3D model, these software offers viewing tools like multiple viewing windows, zoom, orientation, pan, rotate, camera view, etc. Now, to edit the 3DS file model before conversion, these software provide editing tools like Sculpting, Mesh Generator, Transform Tools (rotate, resize, scale), Pivot Transform, Object, Insert, etc. After making the desired changes to a model, you can start the conversion. The process of conversion is simple and I have also included the required steps in the description of each software.
Apart from 3DS and FBX, you can also use these converters to convert OBJ, PLY, STL, DAE, SVG, and more formats. Besides viewing, editing, and file format conversion features, each of these converters also contains some additional tools. Through additional tools, you can create animations, presentations, explore FBX file elements, etc. Go through the list to know more about these software.
My Favorite 3DS to FBX Converter Software For Windows:
FBX Converter is my favorite software because it can batch convert 3DS to FBX. Plus, it also lets you view the 3DS file model and explore all its elements.
You can also check out lists of best free 3DS to STL Converter, 3DS to OBJ Converter, and DAE to FBX Converter software for Windows.
FBX Converter is a free 3DS to FBX converter software for Windows and macOS. It is a dedicated FBX converter software through which you can also convert DAE, DXF, and OBJ files to FBX format. In it, you can also perform batch 3DS to FBX conversion which is another good feature of this software. The unique property of this software is that it gives you the option to convert an input file to a specific version of the FBX like FBX 2006. FBX 2009, FBX 2010, FBX 2012, etc. Before starting the conversion, it also lets you define which element of input files you want to keep in the output FBX like Light, Material, Texture, Mesh, etc. After defining the elements, you can start the 3DS to FBX conversion.
How to convert 3DS to FBX using FBX converter:
- Launch this software and open the FBX Converter module of this software.
- After that, press the Add button to load one or more 3DS files at a time.
- Next, go to the source file section and specify which input file elements you want to keep.
- Lastly, select a version of the FBX from the Destination Format menu and hit the Convert button to start the conversion.
- FBX Viewer: It is a dedicated 3D model viewing module in which you can view a 3D model from all directions. It also offers various model viewing tools like display mode, viewing mode, camera, zoom, and more.
- FBX Take Manager: It allows you to store FBX files with single or multiple takes and also give you the ability to extract animation frames from the FBX file.
- FBX Explorer: Using this feature, you can explore every element of an FBX file and view the entire hierarchy of the FBX file.
It is a simple yet powerful 3DS to FBX converter software through which you can also batch convert multiple 3DS files to FBX format.
Home Page Download Page
pCon.planner is another free 3DS to FBX converter software for Windows. In this software, you can also view and edit 3D models present in 3DS, DWG, DXF, DWT, 3DS, SKP, OBJ, and other supported files. To view 3D designs, it offers four windows namely Top, Right, Front, and Perspective. Multiple model viewing windows allow you to view a model from different angles at a time. Besides this, it also lets you zoom in on a model, rotate model, and pan a model. Similar to 3D model viewing tools, it also provides multiple tools to edit 3D models like Layer Filter, Extrude, Cuboid, Material Editor, Texture Editor, Polyline, Arc, etc.
How to convert 3DS to FBX using pCon.planner:
- Start this software and go to File > Open option to load a 3DS file that you will be able to visualize properly.
- Now, if you want, you can edit the 3DS file model through various available tools.
- Next, move to File > Export > Geometry menu and select FBX as the output format.
- In the end, click on the Save button to initiate the 3DS to FBX conversion.
- Presentation: You can use this feature to make both the video and animated presentations focusing on a 3D model.
It is another nice and easy to use 3DS to FBX converter software through which you can view and edit the 3DS file model before converting it to the FBX format. Plus, it is a great 3D space planing software.
Home Page Download Page
Bforartists is a free open source 3DS to FBX converter software for Windows and Linux. In this software, you can also create and edit 3D models as it is primarily a 3D designing and animation software. You can also use it to edit the 3D model of an input 3DS file before starting the conversion to FBX. To edit a 3D model, it offers multiple editing tools like Sculpting Tools (intrude, extrude, etc.), Mesh Tools (add cone, add sphere, add cube, etc.), UV Editing (to add textures over a model), Transform Tools (rotate, scale, location, etc.), and more.
Now, to convert 3DS to FBX, check out the below steps.
How to convert 3DS to FBX using Bforartists:
- Open the interface of this software and load a 3DS file in using the File > Import option.
- Next, use available editing tools to make changes to the 3DS file model according to your requirements.
- After making all the desired modifications to the 3DS model, go to File > Export menu and choose the FBX format.
- At last, enter the destination locations path and press the Export FBX button to start the conversion.
This software also supports DAE, PLY, STL, X3D, SVG, and more as import and export file formats.
- Animation: It lets you create a 3D animation to show 3D objects or characters in motion.
It is a good 3DS to FBX converter through which you can view, edit and convert a 3DS file to FBX.
Home Page Download Page
NuGraf is a free 3D translation, rendering, and scene composition software that can also be used as a 3DS to FBX converter. It works on Windows. In it, you can create 3D designs and objects from scratch. However, you can also use it to edit 3D models present in a 3DS and other supported file formats like STL, OBJ, PLY, XGL, U3D, X3D, VRML, etc.
To create and edit a 3D model, it provides tools like Translate Object, Scale Object, Insert objects (sphere, cylinder, toroid, cone, etc.), Pivot Transform, etc. Apart from editing tools, it also provides a good set of 3D model viewing tools like four model viewing windows (Top, Front, Right, and Camera), show geometry view, show hierarchical view, camera view, etc. Now, follow the below steps to convert 3DS to FBX.
How to convert 3DS to FBX using NuGraf:
To simply convert one 3DS model to FBX format at a time and to edit it prior conversion, use the following steps:
- Launch Nugraf and use its open or import function to load a 3DS file.
- Now, you can view the 3DS file model and use its editing tools to make changes to the model.
- After editing the 3DS file model, move to File > Export 3D Geometry menu and select the FBX(6.x or v7) option.
- Next, adjust some export properties parameters (materials, mesh processing, etc.) and click on the OK button to initiate the conversion.
If you want to quickly batch convert 3DS to FBX, follow below method:
- Open its Batch Convert option from the File menu and add multiple 3DS files to it.
- Now, set up some output configurations, select output format as FBX, and click the Convert Files button to start batch 3DS to FBX conversion.
- The free version of this software does not export every fifth polygon of the output model. By purchasing the paid version of this software, you can remove this limitation.
It is a decent 3DS to FBX converter through which you can also make some changes to the 3DS file model if you want as well as batch convert 3DS to FBX.
Home Page Download Page