10 Best Free Open Source Blog Software For Windows
Here is a list of best free open source blog software for Windows. These software are similar to standard blog software through which you can create and manage blog websites and their posts. Although all of these are open software blog software thus, you have the added advantage of accessing and editing their source codes. You can also host all of these software locally on your system. To do that, you do need external software to create a server and maintain database like XAMPP.
After the successful installation of these software in your system, you can start building your blogging website. To build websites, these software offer many predefined templates with necessary fields. In some software, you can also add external templates and manually edit the code to create a website of your requirements. Besides this, these software also offer all the necessary tools to create blog posts, publish posts, manage post media, etc. Plus, other management tools like user management, user permissions, media manager, etc., are also available. Many of these software also optimized for various search engines that help you rank your websites higher and attract more traffic.
These software also supports various external APIs and plugins that help users to add more features to them. A few software are specially designed for novice users as they don’t require coding to build a website. In general, all of these are very capable blogging software that anyone can use. Go through the list to know more about these software.
My Favorite Open Source Blog Software For Windows:
WordPress is my favorite software because it offers all the essential tools to create and manage various aspects of websites. Plus, you can find a large set of popular plugins for this software that further enhances this software.
Grav is a really good software for novice users as it doesn’t require any code to make changes to a website. Plus, it offers all the necessary post creation, post publishing, media management, etc., features.
WordPress is a free open source blog software for Windows and Linux. Through this software, you can create and maintain multiple blog websites on a local system. To maintain a database and create a local server, you a third party software like XAMPP.
In this software, you get all the necessary article writing, article media management, article publishing, etc., tools. It also offers many predefined templates for your blogging website. Although the main advantage of this software is its plugins support that lets you add almost any feature to your website that you want. Now, check out the main features of this software:
- Publishing Tools: This software offers all the essential publishing tools such as write blogs, publish blogs, manage blogs, create posts, schedule posts, create pages, manage revisions, and more.
- Flexibility: Through this blog software, you cannot only create blog based websites but also create business websites, news websites, etc.
- User Management: In this platform, you can also add multiple users and their access permission like can view & edit, only view, manage media, etc.
- Media Management: This blog platform also offers a simple to use media section through which you can add and manage images and videos of your blog posts.
- Plugins Support: As mentioned earlier, the blog platform supports various plugins that help you enhance the feature set of this platform. Plus, a lot of official and third-party plugins are available for this blog software.
- Search Engine Optimized: This software is also optimized for various search engines to help you rank your websites higher. To further optimize your website you can install SEO plugins to this software like Yoast SEO.
It is one of the best free open source blog software through which you can create and locally host blogging websites.
Grav is another free open source blog software for Windows. It is simple to use flat-file content management system that allows novice users to create and manage blogging websites without going through a steep learning curve. Apart from blog websites, it can also be used to create and manage news websites, tech websites, sports websites, and more. Plus, all the websites created through this software are light and responsive. It also offers multiple plugins and themes to add or change website design and add more features to it. Now, check out the main features of this open source blog software.
- Multiple Websites Support: Using this software, you can create and manage multiple blogging websites.
- Search Engine Optimization Features: It offers useful SEO optimization features like
- human-readable URLs across websites, page routing and redirection capability, per-page metadata support.
- Administrative Tools: This software offers multiple administrative tools through which an administrator can add users, specify roles of users, and define privileges of users (can access and edit articles, only read articles, etc).
- Pages: Through this section, you can create new posts, preview posts, publish posts, and manage existing posts.
- Plugins: It also supports plugins that enable you to add more features to this blog software.
- This software comes with many additional tools like backup posts, schedule backups, post logs, and more.
It is a very capable open source blog software that allows both novice and advanced users to create and manage blogging websites.
Joomla is another free open source blog software for Windows. Using this software, you can create, organize, manage, and publish blogs on your websites. Joomla also offers a large user base with which you can connect to grow your websites. To run this software in your system, you need software like XAMPP that offers local server and database services. Now, check out its main features.
- Content Management: This software offers all the necessary content management features through which you can write new articles, publish articles, preview articles, upload images, manage media, and more.
- Flexible Platform: This software also offers flexibility to create custom layouts, templates, custom CSS, etc. It also provides various ready to use templates that you can use to design your blogging website.
- Search Engine Optimized: This software is also optimized for search engines that enable websites made using Joomla to rank higher and attract more traffic. It also comes with multiple built-in SEO tools to help you optimize keywords, metadata, URLs, etc.
- User Management: To manage users, it offers many administrative tools like User Catrgorizaion (
- author, media manager, editor, etc.), Access Privileges (can edit, can view, only manage media, etc.), and more.
- In this software, you can find various additional tools through which you can manage cache, update core, user registration to access additional resources, etc.
It is another good open source blog software through which you can create and manage websites, users, and content with ease.
b2evolution is the next free open source blog software for Windows. This software offers an integrated content management system that enables you to manage multiple separate blogs from one interface. Plus, a really good area to manage blog images is also present in it. This software mainly based on PHP and requires hosting software like XAMPP to work. Now, check out the main features of this open source blog software.
- Multiple Blogs: It is the highlighting feature of this software that separates it from other open source blog software. This feature allows a user to manage multiple separate blogs of different websites from one place. On its interface, you can view tabs like Blog A, Blog B, etc., to quickly jump from one blog management area to another. Plus, it also lets you quickly move posts and comments from one blog to another. All the essential post generation and post publishing tools are also available in this area.
- Photo Albums: Unlike most other software, it offers an advanced media or photo management area in which you can open images in different formats. Plus, tools like fullscreen, zoom, slideshow, and keyboard navigation are also available.
- Flexible: This software offers the flexibility to change skin, customize website theme, add or remove skin widgets, edit PHP code to make both visual and functional changes.
It is a beautifully designed open source blog software that offers all the essential tools to create and manage multiple blog websites.
Known is another free open source blog software for Windows. It is mainly a collaborative social publishing software that lets you create locally hosted blogging websites. Plus, all the necessary tools to create posts, manage blog posts, manage posts media, etc., are also available in it. To run this software locally, you need software like XAMPP. Let’s take a brief look at the main interface of this open source blog software.
- Posts: Using it, you can create new blog posts, manage existing blog posts, edit blog posts, and publish posts to your website.
- Multi-Author Support: This software lets you add multiple authors and collaborators to work on your blogging website.
- Photo: This section is specially designed to add and manage images that want to add in your posts.
- API Support: API support allows you to connect with various web applications and use them to improve your blogging website.
It is another good open source blog software through which you can locally host blog websites and manage their content.
Drupal is the next free open source blog software for Windows. Through this software, you cannot only create blogging websites but also create responsive web applications. A good set of post creation, posts publishing, post media management, and posts editing tools are also present in it. Like other similar software, it also needs XAMPP to work. Let’s take a brief look at the main features of this software.
- Easy Content Authoring: This software offers website creation tools based on “what you see is what you get” that enables novice users to create beautiful websites without putting much effort. Plus, all the administrator permission structure, posts creation, post publishing, etc., are also present in it.
- Mobile View Preference: This software offers special emphasis on designing websites that are optimized for mobile devices, smartphones, and tablets.
- Integrated Digital Experience: This platform integrates with business applications and digital marketing technology to offer you the best set of tools.
- API Support: This software also supports external APIs that enable you to connect content with various web applications.
- It offers many additional features such as themes, multi-site support, tools for business websites, and more.
It is simple to use open source blog software that provides all the essential features to create and manage blogging websites and their content.
AnchorCMS is another free open source blog software for Windows. As its name implies, it is mainly a Content Management System (CMS) software through which you can manage posts, create posts, publish posts, etc. You can also connect multiple blog websites with it to create and manage their posts and media. It is also quite lightweight that it remains light on the local server. To run it locally, you need software like XAMPP. Now, check out the main features of this software.
- Simple Theme Structure: This software offers multiple themes that you can also customize according to your needs.
- Extensible: This software also allows users to add and remove custom files from posts and pages.
- Media and Post Management: Through this software, you can easily add media files, create posts, manage posts, and publish posts with ease.
- This software only supports the latest web browsers, thus you will not be able to run this software in older versions of popular web browsers like Internet Explorer and Firefox.
It is a simple effective and lightweight open source blog software that anyone can use.
backdrop is a CMS software that can also be used as an open source blog software. Through this software, you can create blog websites, create posts, edit posts, manage posts media, and more. Plus, it is also quite simple to use. To locally host this software, you need a hosting and database management software like XAMPP. Let’s take a brief look at the main features of this open source blog software.
- Structure: It is a handy section that offers full control of the administrator over the structure of the website and posts. Using it, you can manage posts fields, page fields, add page fields, add custom blocks, specify file types that this software can support, add website layout, add homepage layout, etc.
- Content: Through this section, you can add pages, add posts, manage content, manage comments, and manage files.
- User Accounts: Using it, an administrator can add more users and assign their privileges to their accounts like edit content, only view content, manage media, etc.
- Web Services: Using it, you can add and manage various web services like RSS publishing.
It is another easy to use open source blog software that offers all the essential features to create and manage blogs and websites.
dotclear is another free open source blog software for Windows. It is simple to use blog creation and management software through which you can easily create a blog website and post content on it. Plus, all the important Posts Management, Posts Creation, Media Management features are present in it. To host this platform, you need a web-hosting software such as XAMPP along with a web browser. Let’s take a brief look at the main features of this open source blog software.
- Multi-Blog: This software allows you to create and manage blog posts for different blogging websites.
- Multi-User Support: It also lets you add multiple users with different sets of permissions like access to categories, access to view comments, allow to change author, access to edit pages, and more.
- Posts: Through this section, you can create new posts with added images, edit existing posts, manage posts, and also adjust sidebar settings.
- Themes and Plugins Support: This software also supports themes and plugins that help you customize the layout of this software and introduce more features to it.
- This software offers some handy additional tools like built-in anti-spam (to protect your posts from spam comments), a multilingual interface, and more.
It is another good open source blog software that you can use to manage your blogging websites.
typecho is another free open source blog software for Windows. It is a PHP based blogging software that offers a simple template to quickly create a blogging website. In addition to that, it also offers posts publishing, editing, and management tools. To run this software, you need software that can create a local server and offers database support like XAMPP. Now, check out its main features.
- Setup: You need to use this feature to connect this software with your existing blogging website. To establish the connection, you need to provide information like website name, URL of the website, port, etc. Using it, you can also adjust comments and permalink settings.
- Write: As its name implies, this section is used to write new posts. Besides this, it also offers tools to publish posts, edit posts, preview posts, etc.
- Management: Using it, you can add multiple users, manage files, manage classifications, manage comments, etc.
- This software only offers a basic website template. Plus, it doesn’t allow you to add external templates.
- The interface of this software is in the Chinese language by default. Thus, you need an online translator to convert the language of the page.
It is a basic open source blog software that offers only essential tools and features.
We are the team behind some of the most popular tech blogs, like: I LoveFree Software and Windows 8 Freeware.More About Us
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014