5 Best Free Open Source MKV Editor Software For Windows
Here is a list of best free open source MKV editor software for Windows. MKV or Martoshka Video File is a popular video file format that usually carries high definition videos. If you are looking for an open-source video editor software that can edit MKV videos, then check out these editors. As these editors are open source, thus users are allowed to edit the source codes of these MKV editors. Through these editors, users can perform all the standard editing operations like merge videos, split videos, add video effects, etc. Plus, all the essential video editing tools such as Timeline Editor, Video Editing Tools (cut, split, join, transition, etc.), Preview Player, etc., are present in these editors. The process to use these editors are also quite similar to standard video editing software.
Through these editors, users can also edit videos of MP4, AVI, MOV, MPEG, etc.., video formats. Plus, tools to add audio and graphical content in videos are also provided by most of these software. After importing all the content, users can use the Timeline editor to position every imported content. After that, they can use available editing tools to make necessary changes to the video. Besides this, some editors also provide inbuilt color profiles and transition effects that users can apply over the entire timeline or over a selected video clip. After making all the desired changes, users can preview the final video and specify the output video parameters like video format, aspect ratio, frame rate, etc. In the end, users can initiate the Rendering process to create a cohesive video. Go through the list to know more about these software.
My Favorite Open Source MKV Editor Software For Windows:
OpenShot is my favorite software because it comes with a multi-track timeline editor carrying all the essential video editing tools. Plus, it is one of the simplest MKV editors to use.
OpenShot is a free open source MKV editor software for Windows, Linux, and macOS. It is a simple multi-track video editing software using which users can make short movies, edit gameplay, etc. Apart from MKV, it can also edit videos of WEBM, MP4, OGV, AVCHD, etc., video formats. It also comes with advanced video effects and keyframes tools to create and edit various types of video projects. Now, check out the primary features of this software.
- Editing Tools: This software comes with some important editing tools like slice, cut, separate audio, add marker, rotate, etc.
- Timeline Editor: It is the main feature of his software that allows users to add as many tracks as they want. On each track, users can add multiple video and audio content and arrange them in the correct manner to make a video.
- Video Preview: After arranging all the video clips over the timeline editor, users can use the internal media player to preview the final video before starting the Rendering process.
- Export Video: Through this feature, users can specify the final video properties (video format, video resolution, video quality, etc.) and export the video.
- Transition and Effects: This video editor comes with some inbuilt transition effects that users can add between two clips. Plus, standard video effects are also present in it, which users can apply over video clips like chroma key, blur, wave, color shift, etc.
- Animated Title: This feature provides inbuilt animated templates over which users can add text to make custom animated titles.
It is simple and effective open source MKV editor software that offers all the essential tools to edit MKV videos.
Shotcut is another free open source MKV editor software for Windows, macOS, and Linux. It is mainly a video editor software through which users can edit MKV videos along with MP4 and FLV videos. Plus, it can edit videos of up to 4K resolution. Apart from the video content, users can also input audio and images to this software to make all types of video projects, short movies, etc. It also contains many advanced video editing tools that allow users to make necessary changes to input MKV and other media files. Now, check out the main features of this open source MKV editor software.
- Timeline: This software offers a multi-track timeline editor over which users can add MKV video, edit videos, and rearrange the position of a video. Plus, various editing tools to make changes to input videos are also present in it.
- Editing Tools: In this software, users can find many useful video editing tools such as split at playhead, toggle snapping, detach audio, ripple trim, and drop, and more.
- Preview Player: After making all the necessary changes to input videos, users can preview them in the preview player of this software.
- Export: After previewing and rectifying all the mistakes from the video project, users can export it in various formats video such as WebM, MPEG, H.264, etc.
- Filters: This software offers many inbuilt video filters which you can apply over a video like contrast, brightness, fade in, white balance, etc.
- History: It is a handy feature that allows users to view all the previous changes. It also enables them to recall and edit previous changes if they want.
It is another good open source MKV editor software that offers all the essential tools to make all types of video projects using MKV videos.
Vidiot is another free open source MKV editor software for Windows. It is a basic video editing software that comes with a dated user interface. Still, it offers all the tools to make video projects using MKV videos. Apart from MKV, it also supports videos of AVI, MOV, and MP4 formats. In this software, users can also input and add images and audio files in a video project to make versatile videos. As it is a very basic video editing software, thus it is also quite simple to understand and use. Let’s take a look at the primary features of this software.
- Timeline: The timeline of this software allows users to add multiple video and audio files on the same or different tracks. After adding media content over the tracks, users can use available editing tools and arrange the video clips in the correct order over the timeline.
- Editing Tools: This software comes with various useful video editing tools like split, crop, rotation, scaling, position, fade in, and more.
- Preview Player: It is another important feature that allows users to preview videos present on the timeline during the video editing process.
- Video Properties: Through this section, users can specify the properties of the final video such as video codec, resolution, video bitrate, quality, etc.
- Render: Once a video project gets completed, users can render it using this tool to make the final video usable.
It is a very basic open source MKV editor software through which new users can make simple video projects without having too much knowledge about video editing.
Kdenlive is the next free open source MKV editor software for Windows, Linux, and macOS. This software is designed to cater to the needs of novice and advanced users as it offers all the essential video editing tools over a simple user interface. To edit MKV and other supported videos, it offers a multi-track timeline editor and various video editing tools. In this software, users can also import and add video and graphical content in a video. Now, take a look at the main features of this software.
- Timeline Editor: This software comes with a multi-track timeline editor. Having a multi-track timeline editor allows users to work with a large number of video and audio clips that they want to edit and combine to make a cohesive video.
- Effects: This section contains multiple video effects that users can apply over input MKV videos such as Blur, Sharpen, Motion, Stylize, Alpha, Mask, Keying, and more.
- Editing Tools: Using available editing tools, users can split video, trim video, insert clip between two videos, overwrite clip, and more.
- Color: Use this section to adjust the color profile of the entire timeline or a specific video clip using RGB Parade and Color templates.
- Text Clip: Using it, users can manually add text of various types and fonts over any video.
- Video Properties: It is another important section through which users can specify video parameters like aspect ratio, video resolution, color space, frame rate, etc.
It is another good open source MKV editor software using which users can make simple as well as complex video projects using MKV videos.
Avidemux is a free open source MKV editor software for Windows, Linux, and BSD. It is a simple video editing software that comes with a single-track timeline editor. It is developed to make quick editing operations such as video trimming and cutting. Although, it still contains advanced keyframe features such as add and track video keyframes. Apart from MKV, it can also be used to edit AVI and MPEG videos. It also supports audio files, which allow users to add and mix audio content with a video. Now, check out the primary features of this open source MKV video editor.
- Timeline Editor: Unlike other similar MKV editors, this software comes with a single track timeline editor over which users can perform basic editing operations like cut video, trim video, merge videos, etc.
- Video Output: Through this section, users can specify the form in which they want to save the output video. Some of the output video formats that this software supports are AVI, MOV, MPEG, MP4, FLV, and more. This section also offers a Configure section through which users can specify the aspect ratio, color primaries, etc., properties of the output videos.
- Keyframe Finder: On its main interface, this software offers a keyframe knob using which users can quickly jump to any next and previous keyframes.
- Preview Player: Using it, users can keep track of the new editing changes by previewing them on the inbuilt media preview player.
- Save As Image: It is a handy tool through which users can capture individual frames of a video and save them in BMP, PNG, and JPG image formats.
It is another good MKV editor software that anyone can use to edit videos of MKV and other supported video formats.
We are the team behind some of the most popular tech blogs, like: I LoveFree Software and Windows 8 Freeware.More About Us
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014