Here is a list of best free open source office suite for Windows. This is a sorted list of office software which come with an open source license. You can download respective source code of these software and study and manipulate it without any restriction.
These open source office suites provide various office applications which let you create text documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. Two of these also let you solve a few mathematical problems (Unary/Binary Operators, Relations, Set Operations, Functions, Attributes, Brackets, etc.) and create drawings and edit pictures. You can insert text art, images, audio, video, forms, tables, math equations, etc. into your documents. You can even visualize statistical data in spreadsheets as bar, column, line, area, bubble, etc. charts. Advanced Text Formatting Tools, Inbuilt Templates, Word Counter, Spell Checker, AutoCorrect, Password Protect Feature, etc. are provided in most of these.
The supported formats in these software include ODT, DOC, DOCX, XML, HTML, RTF, XLS, XLSX, CSV, PPT, PPTX, etc. formats.
My Favorite Open Source Office Suite For Windows:
LibreOffice is undoubtedly my favorite open source office software because it provides a wide range of office tools which let you create documents, spreadsheets, presentations, drawings, etc. It is one of the best free alternatives of MS Office.
You may also like some best free Open Source Budgeting Software, Open Source Drawing Software, and Open Source Journal Software for Windows.
LibreOffice is a popular open source office suite for Windows as well as other platforms including Linux and Mac. It provides a whole set of applications so that you can easily work on different documents, spreadsheets, presentations, drawings, etc. It provides some templates for each of the applications which you can use to start with. Let’s have a look at the office applications provided in it and their key features:
- LibreOffice Writer: Here, you can create formal or informal documents in various formats including ODT, DOC, DOCX, XML, HTML, RTF, TXT, etc. You can find almost all features to enter content to a document. It lets you insert images, audio, video, objects, shapes, tables, forms, etc., customize text using hundreds of fonts, format text as title, heading, subheadings, preformatted text, or quotations, and do more. You can also digitally sign your documents to add security.
- LibreOffice Calc: This is the spreadsheet creating and editing application of this office suite. It supports spreadsheets in file formats like XLS, XLSX, HTML, CSV, DIF, ODS, etc. It lets you enter various mathematical functions, formula expressions, pivot tables, etc. to your spreadsheets. You can also use this application as data visualization tool to create charts with entered numerical data such as Bar Chart, Line Chart, Pie Chart, Bubble Chart, etc. It lets you password protect individual sheets as well as a whole spreadsheet. Other useful tools of this application include Calculate, Validity, Consolidate, etc.
- LibreOffice Impress: Using this application, you can create presentations using nice preloaded themes. Master slides, text formattings, insert images, audio, video, table, floating frame, etc., slideshow, and other essential options are available in it. ODF presentations, PPT, PPTX, etc. are the supported formats of this application.
- LibreOffice Draw: As the name suggests, you can create drawings in this application. Tools like shape, fill color, flowchart, arrow, connector, etc. are provided here. You can open and edit images in it as well. You can find all standard image editing tools in it. These include rotate, flip, insert text, image, objects, etc., and more.
- LibreOffice Math: Using this application, you can perform several mathematical operations such as Unary/Binary Operators, Relations, Set Operations, Functions, Attributes, Brackets, etc. Some additional tools to import formulas, insert symbols, digitally sign document, etc. are available here.
A database manager named Base Database is also provided in it. Some handy tools are offered in each of above applications like Word Counter, Spell Checker, AutoCorrect, Chapter Numbering, Bibliography Database, Mail Merge Wizard, Macros, XML Filter Settings, etc. In general, it is the best open source office software in this list.
Home Page Download Page
OpenOffice is another free open source office software for Windows. It is a complete office suite which is packed with various office applications. It is almost the same as LibreOffice. Here also, you can find applications to create and manage Text Documents, Spreadsheets, Drawings, Presentations, Database, and to solve Math problems. You can start with using some preloaded themes provided for each of these.
Each of the applications provides a different set of tools. You can insert media files, tables, forms, etc. into text documents, create charts for statistics added in spreadsheets, create slideshows for presentations, create drawings and edit images, etc. You can find advanced text formatting tools, spell checker, word counter, digital signer, spreadsheet protector, etc. in this open source office suite. Also, you can record macros, manage extensions, setup autocorrect options, mail merge wizard, etc., and do more.
It supports a wide number of document formats such as ODT, DOC, DOCX, XML, HTML, RTF, XLS, XLSX, CSV, PPT, PPTX, etc.
OpenOffice is another great office software which comes with an open source license.
Home Page Download Page
ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors
ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors is one more open source office suite in this list. You can download its source code from here.
This office software lets you create, edit, and manage documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. It supports file formats including Text Documents (ODT, DOC, DOCX, XML, RTF, etc.), Web Pages (HTML, HTM, MHT), Spreadsheets (XLS, XLSX, CSV, ODS, etc.), Text Files (TXT), and Presentations (PPT, PPTX, ODP, PPSM, PPSX, etc.).
To create a document, you can customize its layout, add table of content, footnotes, and hyperlinks, insert charts, pictures, tables, math equations, etc., and do more. In spreadsheets, you can add mathematical equations like fractions, functions, scripts, brackets, operators, etc. You can create various kinds of data visualization charts in spreadsheets including column, line, pie, bar, area, scatter, and stock. As for creating presentations, it provides multiple themes, lets you insert pictures, shapes, charts, text arts, comments, equations, etc., and lets you configure slideshow settings.
ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors is a nice free open source office software for Windows users. Apart from English, It supports other languages as well such as French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, etc.
Home Page Download Page