5 Best Free Open Source Barcode Generator Software for Windows
Here is a list of best free open source barcode generator software for Windows. These are the barcode generator software which come with open source license. You can freely download the source codes of these software which you can study and even manipulate. These software come in handy for the programmers who want to design their own barcode creation software. So, by modifying the source codes of these software, you can create a new version of any of these barcode software.
While a few of these software let you create barcode of a particular type, many of these software support multiple types/ symbologies to generate barcodes. These barcode symbologies include Codabar, Code 11, Code 128, Code 32, Code 39, UPC, EAN-13, EAN-8, ISBN-13, and more. You can also customize the output barcode size in these software. To save generated barcodes, these software support a lot of output file types including PDF, PNG, EPS, GIF, SVG, BMP, PCX, EMF, etc.
All in all, these are nice free open source software to create barcodes. Although these are quite easy to operate, I have also included all the necessary steps to generate a barcode image easily. You can check out the software description to know more.
My Favorite Open Source Barcode Generator Software for Windows:
Zint Barcode Generator is my favorite software to create barcodes as it lets you generate barcodes of multiple types. Also, it supports a variety of output formats to save the barcode image.
Zint Barcode Generator
Zint Barcode Generator, as the name suggests, is a free open source barcode generator software for Windows, Linux, and BSD. You can quickly generate the barcodes using this software.
It lets you generate barcodes in various symbologies. Some of these barcode symbologies or types include Australia Post barcode, Aztec Code, Channel Code, Codabar, Code 11, Code 128, Code 32, Code 39, Code 39+, Code 49, Code 93, Japan Post, Korea Post, MSI, PDF417, QR Code, and UPC-A and UPC-E.
How to create barcodes using Zint Barcode Generator:
It is a portable open source barcode generator. Hence, you just need to run its “exe” file to use it without actually installing it on your system. After running this software, follow the below steps:
- First, select a symbology and then enter the data to encode. You can also enter a sequence to encode.
- After that, you can set up some more parameters including Composite Code (2D component data) and Code128 (composite symbol).
- Now, you can customize the appearance of the barcode such as height, border width, whitespace, printing scale, border type, foreground color, background color, etc.
- Finally, you can either copy the barcode image to the clipboard or save it locally in multiple formats. The supported output formats include PNG, EPS, GIF, SVG, BMP, PCX, EMF, and TIF.
Zint Barcode Generator is a great free open source barcode generator which supports various symbologies to create barcodes.
DMS Barcode Label Generator
DMS Barcode Label Generator is another free open source barcode generator software for Windows. This software basically generates Code 39 barcodes. You can generate multiple barcodes on an A4 sheet using it.
How to generate barcodes using this free open source barcode generator:
- Launch this software and start specifying the input parameters to create a barcode. These input values include Barcode Text, Quantity (number of barcodes per sheet), Item Description, Price, and Currency Type.
- Now, select the label size from these two available sizes: 38mm x 17mm and 18mm x 12mm.
- You can view the output barcode sheet before exporting it using the Preview button.
- At last, click on the Print button to directly take a print out of the created barcode labels. Or, you can also save the barcode label sheet as a PDF document.
It is a nice free open source software to create a barcode labels’ sheet for a product. It can be used by anyone without much hassle.
LibreOffice Draw is another alternative to a free open source barcode generator software for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is basically a drawing software using which you can also create barcodes. It lets you generate barcodes of different types including EAN-13, EAN-8, ISBN-13, UPC-A, JAN, UPC-E, Code 25, Code 128, ITF 25, etc.
Do remember that option to insert barcode is not available in the latest version. You have to use the LibreOffice 3.4.4 version to be able to create barcodes using LibreOffice Draw. The required version can be downloaded from this link.
How to create barcodes using LibreOffice Draw:
- After launching this software, go to its Insert menu and select Barcode option.
- You will see an Insert Barcode window where you can select the barcode type, specify the barcode value, and set the output barcode size.
- Next, simply hit the Insert button to generate the barcode image.
- In a similar manner, you can insert multiple barcodes to a single sheet or document.
- Now, you can copy a barcode image and then paste and edit it in an image editor. You can also save the generated barcodes in a PDF document.
As it is a drawing software, you get various drawing tools such as line, shapes, arrows, etc. And, you get various editing options too including transformation options, add objects, etc.
It is a great open source drawing software which can also be used to generate barcodes. Also, it comes with the popular office suite called LibreOffice. Hence, you can use its other office software to create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
Barcode by jbdemonte
Barcode by jbdemonte is one more open source barcode generator software on this list. It is a PHP based software which requires a web server and a web browser to work. You can download a web server like XAMPP to run this software.
This software can be used to generate barcodes of different symbologies. These include Standard 2 of 5, Interleaved 2 of 5, EAN 8, EAN 13, UPC, Code 11, Code 39, Code 93, Code 128, Codabar, MSI, and DataMatrix.
How to generate barcode using this PHP based software:
After downloading the source code of this software from below given download page, follow these steps to create barcodes using it:
Step 1: Run the XAMPP server (or any other web server) and then paste the entire source code folder to the htdocs folder of the XAMPP installation folder.
Step 2: Open the PHP file “sample-fpdf.php” in a Notepad and make changes to the code. To generate different barcodes, you need to change these values accordingly in the source code:
$code = '957885489012'; // barcode, of course ;)
$type = 'ean13';
$black = 'AAADFA'; // color in hexa
Step 3: Go to your web browser and type localhost and then add the path of edited PHP file like this: http://localhost/php_barcode\sample php
Step 4: Now, click on the “sample-fpdf.php” file and it will generate a PDF of the output barcode. You can easily download this PDF file from your browser.
It is another good option to generate barcodes. Novice users can find it a bit tiresome to use it as it requires an external web server software to run.
Barcode & Label (My Barcode Software)
Barcode & Label (My Barcode Software) is yet another free open source barcode generator software for Windows. It lets you generate Code 39 barcodes.
How to create barcode using Barcode & Label:
- Launch this software and enter the data to encode.
- Now, set some output parameters including width, height, and resolution (DPI).
- At last, click on the Save Barcode As Image button to export barcode in PNG format.
It is a basic open source software to generate Code 39 barcodes.
We are the team behind some of the most popular tech blogs, like: I LoveFree Software and Windows 8 Freeware.More About Us
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014