Here is a list of best free open source barcode generator software for Windows. These are the barcode generator software which come with open source license. You can freely download the source codes of these software which you can study and even manipulate. These software come in handy for the programmers who want to design their own barcode creation software. So, by modifying the source codes of these software, you can create a new version of any of these barcode software.
While a few of these software let you create barcode of a particular type, many of these software support multiple types/ symbologies to generate barcodes. These barcode symbologies include Codabar, Code 11, Code 128, Code 32, Code 39, UPC, EAN-13, EAN-8, ISBN-13, and more. You can also customize the output barcode size in these software. To save generated barcodes, these software support a lot of output file types including PDF, PNG, EPS, GIF, SVG, BMP, PCX, EMF, etc.
All in all, these are nice free open source software to create barcodes. Although these are quite easy to operate, I have also included all the necessary steps to generate a barcode image easily. You can check out the software description to know more.
My Favorite Open Source Barcode Generator Software for Windows:
Zint Barcode Generator is my favorite software to create barcodes as it lets you generate barcodes of multiple types. Also, it supports a variety of output formats to save the barcode image.
You may also like some best free Barcode Scanner Software, UPC Barcode Generator Software, and Barcode Generator Software for Windows.
Zint Barcode Generator
Zint Barcode Generator, as the name suggests, is a free open source barcode generator software for Windows, Linux, and BSD. You can quickly generate the barcodes using this software.
It lets you generate barcodes in various symbologies. Some of these barcode symbologies or types include Australia Post barcode, Aztec Code, Channel Code, Codabar, Code 11, Code 128, Code 32, Code 39, Code 39+, Code 49, Code 93, Japan Post, Korea Post, MSI, PDF417, QR Code, and UPC-A and UPC-E.
How to create barcodes using Zint Barcode Generator:
It is a portable open source barcode generator. Hence, you just need to run its “exe” file to use it without actually installing it on your system. After running this software, follow the below steps:
- First, select a symbology and then enter the data to encode. You can also enter a sequence to encode.
- After that, you can set up some more parameters including Composite Code (2D component data) and Code128 (composite symbol).
- Now, you can customize the appearance of the barcode such as height, border width, whitespace, printing scale, border type, foreground color, background color, etc.
- Finally, you can either copy the barcode image to the clipboard or save it locally in multiple formats. The supported output formats include PNG, EPS, GIF, SVG, BMP, PCX, EMF, and TIF.
Zint Barcode Generator is a great free open source barcode generator which supports various symbologies to create barcodes.
Home Page Download Page
DMS Barcode Label Generator
DMS Barcode Label Generator is another free open source barcode generator software for Windows. This software basically generates Code 39 barcodes. You can generate multiple barcodes on an A4 sheet using it.
How to generate barcodes using this free open source barcode generator:
- Launch this software and start specifying the input parameters to create a barcode. These input values include Barcode Text, Quantity (number of barcodes per sheet), Item Description, Price, and Currency Type.
- Now, select the label size from these two available sizes: 38mm x 17mm and 18mm x 12mm.
- You can view the output barcode sheet before exporting it using the Preview button.
- At last, click on the Print button to directly take a print out of the created barcode labels. Or, you can also save the barcode label sheet as a PDF document.
It is a nice free open source software to create a barcode labels’ sheet for a product. It can be used by anyone without much hassle.
Home Page Download Page
LibreOffice Draw is another alternative to a free open source barcode generator software for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is basically a drawing software using which you can also create barcodes. It lets you generate barcodes of different types including EAN-13, EAN-8, ISBN-13, UPC-A, JAN, UPC-E, Code 25, Code 128, ITF 25, etc.
Do remember that option to insert barcode is not available in the latest version. You have to use the LibreOffice 3.4.4 version to be able to create barcodes using LibreOffice Draw. The required version can be downloaded from this link.
How to create barcodes using LibreOffice Draw:
- After launching this software, go to its Insert menu and select Barcode option.
- You will see an Insert Barcode window where you can select the barcode type, specify the barcode value, and set the output barcode size.
- Next, simply hit the Insert button to generate the barcode image.
- In a similar manner, you can insert multiple barcodes to a single sheet or document.
- Now, you can copy a barcode image and then paste and edit it in an image editor. You can also save the generated barcodes in a PDF document.
As it is a drawing software, you get various drawing tools such as line, shapes, arrows, etc. And, you get various editing options too including transformation options, add objects, etc.
It is a great open source drawing software which can also be used to generate barcodes. Also, it comes with the popular office suite called LibreOffice. Hence, you can use its other office software to create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
Home Page Download Page
Barcode by jbdemonte
Barcode by jbdemonte is one more open source barcode generator software on this list. It is a PHP based software which requires a web server and a web browser to work. You can download a web server like XAMPP to run this software.
This software can be used to generate barcodes of different symbologies. These include Standard 2 of 5, Interleaved 2 of 5, EAN 8, EAN 13, UPC, Code 11, Code 39, Code 93, Code 128, Codabar, MSI, and DataMatrix.
How to generate barcode using this PHP based software:
After downloading the source code of this software from below given download page, follow these steps to create barcodes using it:
Step 1: Run the XAMPP server (or any other web server) and then paste the entire source code folder to the htdocs folder of the XAMPP installation folder.
Step 2: Open the PHP file “sample-fpdf.php” in a Notepad and make changes to the code. To generate different barcodes, you need to change these values accordingly in the source code:
$code = '957885489012'; // barcode, of course ;)
$type = 'ean13';
$black = 'AAADFA'; // color in hexa
Step 3: Go to your web browser and type localhost and then add the path of edited PHP file like this: http://localhost/php_barcode\sample php
Step 4: Now, click on the “sample-fpdf.php” file and it will generate a PDF of the output barcode. You can easily download this PDF file from your browser.
It is another good option to generate barcodes. Novice users can find it a bit tiresome to use it as it requires an external web server software to run.
Home Page Download Page
Barcode & Label (My Barcode Software)
Barcode & Label (My Barcode Software) is yet another free open source barcode generator software for Windows. It lets you generate Code 39 barcodes.
How to create barcode using Barcode & Label:
- Launch this software and enter the data to encode.
- Now, set some output parameters including width, height, and resolution (DPI).
- At last, click on the Save Barcode As Image button to export barcode in PNG format.
It is a basic open source software to generate Code 39 barcodes. Home Page Download Page