8 Best Free Open Source eBook Reader Android Apps
Here is a list of best free open source eBook reader Android apps. These apps are similar to standard eBook reader apps in which you can easily read eBooks of various formats. Unlike standard apps, all these apps are open source, thus their users can download and edit source codes of these apps without any restriction.
In most apps, you can easily read eBooks of multiple formats like EPUB, MOBI, PRC, AZW3, FB2, and more. Besides eBooks, you can also read documents (HTML, DOC, RTF, etc.) in most apps. To give users a good reading environment, these apps offer easy to use page navigation and reading modes. Through page navigation tools, you can either navigate to previous and next pages or directly jump to a specific page. On the other hand, reading modes adjust the color profile and page settings (single page view, two-page view, etc. ). In some app, you also get a dedicated dark or night mode to read eBooks in a low-light environment. I also like search (to search eBooks) and dictionary (to find the meaning of words) features provided by some apps.
In some apps, you also get an advanced text to speech feature to listen to eBooks like an audiobook. Besides this, you can also find additional tools through which you can read online eBooks, download eBooks, synchronize eBooks, etc. Go through the list to know more about these apps.
My Favorite Open Source EBook Reader Android App:
Librera Reader is my favorite app because it lets you read both locally stored and online eBooks. Plus, it also offers multiple reading modes to facilitate all types of users.
Librera Reader is a free open source eBook reader Android app. It is a lightweight yet feature-rich eBook reader app that supports a large number of eBook formats such as PDF, EPUB, EPUB3, MOBI, DJVU, FB2, and more. Apart from eBooks, it can also be used to read documents and files of various formats. Plus, tools to manage and organize eBooks are also present in it. I also like its main eBook viewer that contains all the important features along with a well-designed interface to read eBooks. Now, check out the main features of this app.
- Automatic Folder Scan: It is one of the best features of this app as it automatically scans and adds all the eBooks present on your Android device.
- Reading Modes: This app provides three reading modes namely Scroll Mode (to read eBook in continuous scroll mode), Book Mode (to make the user interface similar to traditional books), and Musician Mode (to listen to eBook content like an audiobook).
- Night mode: It is used to turn the main interface dark to reduce eye strain when reading eBooks in a dark environment.
- Preferences: Using it, you can easily modify the text size, font type, brightness, and more.
- Page Navigation Tools: This app offers provides standard page forward, page backward, and page scrolling tools to navigate across pages.
- Network: Using it, you can browse and read eBooks present on various online eBook sources.
It is one of the best free open source eBook reader Android app in which you can read both locally stored and online eBooks.
Cool Reader is a free open source eBook reader Android app. This app also comes for Windows, macOS, and Linux operating systems. In this app, you can easily organize and read eBooks of various formats like PDB, PRC, MOBI, FB2, CHM, and more. Plus, all the essential ebook reading tools such as reading modes, page navigation, go to page, etc., are also present in it. Now, check out the main features of this software.
- Multi eBook format support: In this app, you can easily read eBooks of various popular formats like PDB, EPUB, MOBI, FB2, etc.
- Day/Night: It is another handy feature that allows users to enable disable the night mode according to the surrounding light.
- Paperbook look and page-turning animation: This app provides a familiar paper book styled eBook interface along with page-turning animation that improves the eBook reading environment.
- Bookmarks: Using it, you can easily bookmark favorite pages and chapters of an eBook.
- Autoscroll: It is a useful feature that automatically switches pages after some time.
- Text Style: According to your requirements, you can adjust the text style by adjusting its font, text color, text size, etc.
- Read Aloud: By enabling this feature, you can listen to eBooks.
It is another good open source eBook reader Android app in which you can read and listen to eBooks of various formats.
Book Reader is another free open source eBook reader Android app. It is another good eBook reader app in which you can read eBook and documents of various formats namely FB2, HTML, TXT, EPUB, MOBI, RTF, DOC, PDF, DJVU, CBZ, and CBR. In it, you can find all the essential eBook reading features which provide a good eBook reading environment. Now, check out the main features of this app.
- Page Navigation and Page Scrolling: This app provides simple forward and backward page navigation tools along with a page scroll to quickly jump to any page.
- Text Settings: Using text settings, you can adjust the text font and size of text according to your requirements.
- Modes: This app offers two modes namely Regular and Night modes. The regular mode is advisable when your device is present in a well-lit environment. On the other hand, you can enable the night mode to read an eBook in a dark environment.
- TTS: It is basically text to speech conversion feature that allows users to listen to input eBooks like an audiobook.
It is simple to use open source eBook reader Android app in which you read eBooks of many different formats.
Book McBookface is another free open source eBook reader Android app. It is simple to use eBook reader app in which you can load, manage, and read eBooks of various formats. Some of the eBook formats that this app supports are EPUB, TXT, and HTML. Like other similar apps, it also offers essential tools to navigate across pages, page scrolling, table of content, etc. Now, check out its main features.
- eBook Management: In this app, you can load multiple eBooks that you can easily manage and retrieve using search and eBook sorting features.
- eBook Standard font and size: This app tries to give users the same font size and font style that you get in physical novels and storybooks.
- Page Navigation and Scroll: This app offers traditional page navigation buttons (forward and backward) along with page scrolling to quickly jump across multiple pages.
- Table of Contents: It shows all the chapters of an eBook. Plus it also allows users to directly jump to a specific chapter.
- Brightness Adjustment: Unlike other apps, it offers an inbuilt brightness control tool to make precise adjustments to brightness levels.
It is another capable open source eBook reader Android that anyone can use to read manage and read eBooks.
Typhon is another free open source eBook reader Android app. This eBook reader provides an impressive eBook shelf on which you can organize multiple eBooks of various formats like EPUB, MOBI, TXT, PRC, etc. At any time, you can select and read an eBook present on its eBook shelf. A functional eBook reader area along with all the important tools like page navigation, scrolling, table of content, view modes, etc., present in it. Let’s take a brief look at the main features of this app.
- Simple Page Navigation: To jump from one page to another, it offers both page navigation buttons and infinite scroll features.
- Highlight: Using it, you can highlight certain phrases and words present in an eBook.
- Search On Wiktionary: Through this feature, users can select and search the meaning of a word on Wiktionary.org.
- Mode: This app offers two modes which you can enable according to the surrounding ambient light namely Light mode and Dark mode.
- Bookmarks: It is another useful feature to bookmark favorite eBook pages and chapters.
- Sync: By adding your email account to this app, you can synchronize this app across multiple Android devices.
- Download books: Through this feature, you can download eBooks from various online eBook sources.
It is another capable open source eBook reader Android app that offers a good set of eBook reading tools.
Document Viewer is yet another free open source eBook reader app. As its name suggests, it is mainly a document reader app that also supports PDF and FB2 eBooks. Now, check out the main features of this app.
- Automatic Document Scan: This app automatically scan document and eBooks present in your Android device and add them to its Library.
- Scroll Navigation: As it’s mainly a document viewer app thus it provides standard scroll up and down features to navigate across pages of eBooks.
- Categorization: It is another useful feature that automatically categorized eBooks and documents according to their formats.
- Backup & Restore: Using this feature, you can take backup of your eBooks which you can later restore in case of data loss.
It is simple to use open source eBook reader Android app that anyone can use to read eBooks and documents.
FBReader is another free open source eBook reader Android app. In this app, you can organize and read eBooks of EPUB, AZW3, FB2, etc., formats. Besides this, it also supports documents of RTF, DOC, HTML, etc., formats. Now, check out the main features of this app.
- Network Library: It allows users to access various online eBook reading libraries and read eBooks present on them. It also gives you the option to download eBooks if you want.
- Synchronize: By adding your email account to this app, you can synchronize your eBooks collection with other devices.
- Navigation Tools: Similar to other eBook reading apps, it offers standard and page scrolling page navigation tools.
- Text Highlight: At any time users can highlight any words or phrase according to requirements.
- Quick Dictionary: By selecting a word and selecting the dictionary option, you can find out its meaning.
It is another good open source eBook reader Android app through which you can read eBooks present on various online sources.
EBookDroid is the next free open source eBook reader Android app. In this app, you can read eBooks of EPUB, RTF, MOBI, AWZ3, and FB2 formats. It comes with a simple interface to load and read eBooks without much hassle. Besides this, all the essential tools to navigate across pages are also present in it. Now, check out its main features.
- eBook Library: In it, you can load and organize multiple collections of eBooks of supported formats.
- Rendering Mode: Through this mode, you can change the color profile of the main viewer section. It offers four rendering modes namely Day, Sepia, Night, and Dark Room.
- Book Settings: Using it, you can adjust the page scroll (horizontal scroll or vertical scroll), Page View (single page view or two-page view), etc.
- G Search: This tool lets users find the meaning of words on Google.
It is another capable open source eBook reader app for Android that anyone can use without much hassle.
We are the team behind some of the most popular tech blogs, like: I LoveFree Software and Windows 8 Freeware.More About Us
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014