7 Best Free Open Source Messaging App For Android
Here is a list of best free open source messaging app for Android. These apps are similar to standard messaging apps which let you send and receive text messages, emojis, conduct video calls, etc. Unlike standard messaging apps, all these apps are open source and thus you can access and edit their source code without any restriction. Through most of these apps, you can conduct text chats, group text chats, video calls, audio calls, group calls, etc. Besides this, users can also find the latest stickers and emojis in these apps that they can use during conversations. These apps are also quite secure as they use various encryption technologies like peer to peer encryption, encrypted messages, and more.
In most apps, you also get file-sharing tools through which you can send files, images, videos, documents, etc. In some app, you can also create groups to broadcast messages, media files to all the members of the group. A few apps can also utilize email server networks to send and receive messages. In general, all of these apps are very capable messaging apps. Go through the list to know more about these apps.
My Favorite Open Source Messaging Apps:
Signal is my favorite app because it lets you communicate with text messages, audio calls, video calls. Plus, it encrypts all the communication with various encryption algorithms to ensure the security of messages, calls, and video calls.
Signal is a free open source messaging app for Android and iOS. This app is specially designed to give users secure communication environment. Using this app, you can communicate through text messages, voice calls, video calls, and short audio messages. Besides this, a good set of emojis and encrypted stickers are also present in it. Another good thing about this app is the lack of ads as it doesn’t show any type of ads on its interface. Now, check out the main features of this open source messaging app.
- Group Communication: This app lets users communicate in groups using group chats, group audio calls, and group video call features.
- Short Audio Messages and Disappearing Messages: Through this app, users can record short audio messages when in hurry. A unique disappearing message is also present in it that will automatically delete after some time.
- Privacy and Security: This app employs state of the art end to end encryption to ensure the privacy of its users and messages send by them.
- Send Anything: This app also lets users share any type of file, audio files, videos, images, etc., with other users.
- Dark Mode: It also offers a dark mode that turns its interface dark to reduce strain on eyes in a dark environment.
It is one of the best free messaging app for Android that offers a secure way to communicate with friends and family.
Telegram is a free open source messaging app for Android. It is a multi-platform supported app that also works in Windows, iOS, Linux, and macOS operating systems. Using this app, you can communicate with friends and family by sending and receiving messages. Apart from text messages, it also lets you send emojis, files, video files, audio files, etc. In it, you can also create groups that other users can join for group communication and file sharing. In it, you also get a call feature for voice communication over the internet. Let’s take a brief look at the main features of this app.
- Simple and Reliable Communication Methods: With the help of this app users can use voice and text messages to communicate with other people.
- File-Sharing: Through this app, you can easily share large files of various types with one or more users at a time like video files, audio files, archive files, and more.
- Secure: This app offers secure communication for its users. To ensure security and privacy, it employes a combination of 256-bit symmetric AES encryption and 2048-bit RSA encryption techniques.
- Large Group Support: In this app, you can create very large groups consisting of up to 200,000 users.
- Synced: This app can also synchronize your Telegram messages and data across multiple devices carrying this app.
It is a simple, secure, and feature-rich open-source messaging app that anyone can use for free.
surespot is another free open source messaging app for Android and iOS. It is another very secure messaging app that lets you communicate with your family and friends. This app offers two methods of communication namely text messages and short voice messages. Besides this, it also lets you send images, files, and emojis. Now, check out the main features of this app.
- Privacy and Security: This app offers end to end encryption to securely send both text and voice messages.
- Messages and Emojis: This app lets users easily send text messages and emojis to conduct two-way communication.
- Encrypted Voice Messages: This app also encrypts the voice messages sent by users so that no unauthorized user can listen to voice messages.
- File Transfer: Similar to other apps, it also lets users send and receive various types of files like images, audio, etc.
- The interface of this app looks dated. Plus, it is less intuitive to use than other open source messaging apps.
It is another decent open source messaging apps that anyone can use to send and receive messages over the internet.
Linphone is another free open source messaging app for Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, and Linux. Using this app, you can communicate with other users through video calls, audio calls, and instant messages. It uses SIP and VOIP protocols to provide real-time voice and audio communications. Now, check out the main features of this app.
- Video and Audio Calls: This app also lets users communicate with each other using high-quality video and audio calls.
- Messages: Using it, you can communicate with other users through traditional text messages and emojis.
- Conference Calls: Using this feature, you can connect and communicate with multiple users at a time. It lets its users use both audio and video conferencing methods.
- Encryption: This app uses various encryption methods to provide security to messages and calls such as SRTP, ZRTP, and DTLS.
- File-Sharing: Users of this app can share files, documents, videos, and images with each other.
- Status: Using it, users can update their current status like available, busy, do not disturb, etc.
- Record: It is another useful feature through which you can record video and audio call sessions.
It is another capable open source messaging app that also lets users communicate through audio and video calls.
Element is yet another free open source messaging app for Android. This app can also be used as a productivity and team collaboration app. In this app, multiple users can perform group chats, audio conferencing, and video conferencing. Plus, essential messaging features like emojis, group chats, file sharing, etc., are also present in it. Now, check out the main features of this open source messaging app.
- Encrypted Messages: This app encrypts all the messages to provide secure communication to its users.
- Group Messages and Chat: This app also allows users to perform both private and group text chats.
- Video and Audio Calls: This app also gives the ability to conduct video and audio calls over the internet. Group video and audio calls can also be conducted in it.
- Screen Sharing: To improve collaboration between users, this app lets them share their screens.
- Dark Mode: It is another useful feature through which you can darken up the interface of this app.
It is a simple and secure open-source messaging app that offers all the essential messaging and group communication features.
Antox is yet another free open source messaging app for Android. It is a beautifully designed and secure messaging app that offers a good environment for users to communicate with each other. To provide security and privacy to its users it offers peer to peer and Tox communication protocols. Apart from text messaging, it also supports voice calls and video calls. Now, check out the main features of this open source messaging app.
- Instant Messages: Using this app, you can send secure messages across the globe.
- Voice and Video Calls: Users of this app can also communicate through voice and video calls without putting much effort.
- File-Sharing: This feature enables users to share files, photos, videos, etc., with each other.
- Screen Sharing: It is another handy feature that lets its users share their screens with one another to improve communication.
It is simple to use open source messaging app that anyone can use to send and receive instant messages from all over the world.
Delta Chat is the next free open source messaging app for Android. It is mainly an E-Mail application to send and receive emails. Although, it also offers a message feature that lets its users send and receive text messages over the internet. This app uses the existing e-mail server network to host the messaging service. Now, check out the main features of this app.
- Connect with E-Mail Address: This app offers this unique feature that lets you send messages to anyone whose email address you know. Unlike other similar apps, it doesn’t use the phone numbers of its users.
- Short Audio Messages and Emojis: This app also lets users record and send audio messages. In addition to that, all the modern emojis are provided by it.
- Group Communication: Users of this app can conduct group chat, group audio calls, and group video calls.
- Secure Communication: To ensure the security of communication, it offers end to end encryption.
- File-Sharing: Apart from messages, you can also send and receive files, images, videos, etc.
It is a good open source messaging app for Android that you can use to communicate with other users over the internet.
We are the team behind some of the most popular tech blogs, like: I LoveFree Software and Windows 8 Freeware.More About Us
- July 2022
- June 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014