11 Best Free Open Source OneNote Alternative Software For Windows
Here is a list of best free open source open source OneNote alternative software. OneNote is a popular Microsoft product that allows users to quickly create and manage notes. It also lets users synchronize notes across multiple devices as it keeps a copy of all notes to its server. Although, if you are looking for multiple software that behave like OneNote and comes in an open-source package then check out this article. These open source alternatives are completely free. Plus, users can easily download, access, and edit the source code of these OneNote alternatives.
Through these software, users can easily create new notes and add write essential information to them in the form of text. Besides this, most alternatives also let users create notebooks consisting of multiple pages and notes. To write, edit, and format text, these alternatives offer many tools like Bold, Italic, Bullet List, Select, Copy, Underline, and more. Using these alternatives, users can also share notes with other users and synchronize notes with their servers. It is necessary for some alternatives to configure the server at the time of installation for successful note synchronization. Apart from text, some software also recognizes the code language and highlight their syntax in different colors.
Some alternatives also focus on the security of notes by using various encryption methods to secure text. Go through the list to know more about these OneNote alternatives.
My Favorite Open Source OneNote Alternative Software For Windows:
Laverna is my favorite software because it offers all the important OneNote features like quick note-taking, note synchronization, etc. Plus, it also uses encryption to encrypt notes and their data.
Laverna is a free open source OneNote alternative software for Windows, macOS, and Linux. Similar to OneNote, users can also use it to write and save textbooks and notes. Plus, all the data saved in this software automatically synchronize with its cloud similar to OneNote to prevent data loss. Now, check out the main features of this software.
- Notebook: Using it, users can write multiple pages and save them under one title to create a book.
- Individual Notes: In this software, users can also create and save individual notes.
- Access From Multiple Devices: As this software saves a copy of all books and notes in its cloud that allows users to access data from various different devices by logging into its account.
- Code Highlighting: This software also supports coding languages and automatically highlights different code elements in unique colors.
- Writing and Editing Tools: To help users write and edit programs this software offers various tools such as numbered list, bullet list, heading, bold, italic, and more.
- Encryption: To protect all the user data this software password protects and encrypts all the data.
It is one of the best free OneNote alternative in which users can create and save text notes, books, and codes.
Turtl is another free open source OneNote alternative software for Windows, Linux, Android, and macOS. It is quite similar to OneNote as lets users create and save notes and books in this software. Similar to OneOne, it also supports multiple operating systems and caters to a large group of people. Let’s take a brief look at the main features of this OneNote alternative.
- Text Note: In this section, users can create custom text notes with added tags.
- Formatting Help: To properly format a text document or note, it offers a dedicated guide using which users can change the style of text, adjust text size, strikeout text, add code symbols with text, and more.
- Image and File Support: With existing text notes, users can also add images and files of various formats like JPG, BMP, SVG, TXT, DOCX, etc.
- Collaboration: This software also lets users share their workspace and notes with other Turtle users.
- Encryption: This software uses encryption to prevent unauthorized users to access your data.
- In this free version of Turtle, users can only save data of up to 50 MB.
- Plus, it also limits its users to share their notes with up to 3 collaborators. To remove all these limitations, users need to purchase its paid Business version.
It is another good OneNote alternative software that offers a good set of note-making and note management features similar to OneNote.
Joplin is another free open source OneNote alternative software for Windows, Linux, and macOS. Through this software, users can create and manage a large number of text notes. Apart from notes, it also lets users create multiple notebooks consisting of multiple notes. Now, check out the main features of this OneNote alternative.
- Notebook: In it, users can add multiple notes. Plus, it also allows users to create new notes from scratch and add them to a notebook.
- Writing Tools: To helps users write notes and create notebooks, this software offers a large writing area with added tools such as numbered list, bullet list, heading, bold, etc.
- Tags: With notes and notebooks, users can add custom tags that later helps users find similar types of notes.
- Import and Export Notes: This software also lets users import notes (in text format) and export notes in JEX (Joplin Export File) format.
- Synchronization: This software offers advanced synchronization that allows users to connect with various note services (OneNote, Evernote, etc.) and synchronize their notes with Joplin.
- Attachments: This software also allows users to attach files and images with notes.
It is another good open source OneNote alternative that allows users to create and synchronize notes and notebooks with ease.
CherryTree is another free open source OneNote alternative software for Windows, macOS, and Fedora. In this software, users can create nodes and child nodes similar to notebooks and notes. In each node, users can add multiple child nodes to create a notebook. In addition to that, users can also add various elements with notes. Now, take a look at some of the primary features of this alternative.
- Nodes and Child Nodes: In this software, users can create child nodes in which they can write single-page text content. To create a notebook (node), users can add multiple individual pages.
- Editing and Formatting Tools: To edit text, it offers many tools such as Insert Anchor, Insert TOC, Toggle Bold, Set/Unset Bullet List, and more.
- Import and Export: Using these features, users can import and export notes in the form of PDF, HTML, TXT, etc., formats.
- Code Highlighting: This feature highlights different elements of a code in distinct colors.
It is a simple open source OneNote alternative that anyone can use with ease.
Standard Notes is yet another free open source OneNote alternative software for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. It is a cleanly designed software in which users can easily create and organize notes similar to OneNote. Now, take a look at the main features of this open source OneNote alternative software.
- All Notes: In this section, users get the option to view all the existing notes along with an option to create a new note.
- Editor: This software offers a Plain editor to write and edit the text in notes. By default, it doesn’t offer editing features. Although, users can later download editing features and actions.
- Tags: With each note, users can add tags that help them to find and associate notes based on their tags.
- Trash: If it, you can put all the unnecessary notes which will automatically permanently delete after some time.
- The free version of this software does not support extensions. Because of the lack of extensions, this software even lacks basic text editing tools. To unlock extensions, users need to purchase their premium version.
It is another decent open source OneNote alternative that users can use for basic note-taking.
Zettlr is another free open source OneNote alternative software for Windows. It is mainly a markdown editor that also acts as a OneNote alternative. As it is mainly an editor, thus it offers various essential writing tools. Now, check out the primary features of this software.
- Markdown Editor: It is the main note creation and editing area. Unlike other standard text editors, this markdown editor lets users make text notes structure using only characters. Due to which users don’t need to depend upon the toolbar to perform actions like Bold, Italic, Headings 1, etc.
- Links: In this software, users can also add links in notes. As soon as the user adds a link to a note, this software quickly validates the link to determine whether the link is working or not.
- View Stats: It is another handy feature through which users can view all the writing stats such as number of words written today, number of words written in the whole month, etc.
- Tags: In each note, users can add tags according to note type to categorize notes.
- Spell Check: It is another handy tool that helps users find spelling mistakes in their notes.
- Code Highlighting: This feature detects codes of various languages and automatically highlights their elements like syntax, text, functions, etc.
- Export: This alternative lets users export documents in PDF, HTML, Word, etc., formats.
It is a feature-rich open source OneNote alternative that anyone can use to create and manage a large number of text notes.
Xournal++ is another free open source OneNote alternative software for Windows. Through this software, users can create multipage notes. In addition to text, users are also allowed to draw over notes, unlike other similar software. Now, check out its main features.
- Journal: Using it, users can adjust the journal page positions, add layers over pages, configure page template, and more.
- Text: It is a primary text tool through which users can add text to any part of a document.
- Drawing Tools: This software offers various drawing tools through which users can draw a custom design over a note or document.
- Multipage Documents: Users can easily add as many pages as they want to their notes. All the added pages can be viewed on the left side panel.
- Export: After creating notes, users can export them in PDF, PNG, SVG, etc., file formats.
It is another decent open source OneNote alternative that users can use to create notes instead of OneNote.
QOwnNotes is the next free open source OneNote alternative for Windows. Through this software, users can create notes and synchronize notes to their clouds similar to OneNote. Besides this, it also offers all the essential note-taking and editing tools. Let’s take a brief look at the primary features of this software.
- Note: Using it, create new notes from scratch. After creating a note user can write text or paste it in.
- Text Editing Tools: To help users write and edit text, it offers editing tools like insert (to insert links, insert an attachment, etc.) format text (bold, italic, underline, etc.), remove a note, etc.
- Sync and Backup: This software can take backup and synchronize all the notes with its server. At the time of installation, users need to configure this software with its server.
- Tag: Through this feature, users can categorize notes into various categories. Plus, users can also search notes based on tag names.
- Encryption: Using this feature, users can manually encrypt individual notes.
- Revision History: Using it, users can view various versions of edited notes.
It is a straightforward open source OneNote alternative that offers a good set of note-taking and editing tools similar to OneNote.
Trilium is yet another free open source OneNote alternative software for Windows. This software offers a powerful note-taking utility through which users can take notes with ease. Besides this, it also supports code files and allows users to link code files with one another. Let’s take a brief look at the main features of this open source OneNote alternative.
- Type: Using it, users can not only create a new note but also create a notebook, relation map, code file, and more.
- Syntax Highlighting: This software also highlights elements of a code file in various colors.
- Multi-Tab Interface: The multi-tab interface that allows users to work on multiple notes at a time.
- Sync Notes: Using it, users can immediately synchronize all notes with its cloud.
- Word Counter: It is a handy tool through which users can find out the total number of words present in a note.
It is a good open source OneNote alternative that anyone can use to create notes, edit notes, and manage notes.
vnote is the next free open source OneNote alternative software for Windows, macOS, and Linux. It is a dedicated note-taking software similar to OneNote through which users can create new notes, edit existing notes, and delete notes with ease. Now, check out its main features.
- Notebook: Before doing anything, users need to create a new notebook by going to the Notebook section.
- Notes and Import Pages: After creating a notebook, users can add as many notes and imported pages into its without much hassle.
- Editing Tools: To edit notes, it offers standard editing tools like formatting tools (bold, italic, bullet list), add attachments, insert files, insert link, etc.
- Syntax Highlighting: This software also highlights the elements and functions of a code of almost any language.
- Split Workspace: Using it, users can split their workspace in either horizontal or vertical directions.
It is another simple to use open source OneNote alternative that comes with basic note-taking features.
MyTetra is the last free open source OneNote alternative software for Windows and Linux. This software is specially designed to create simple individual notes. Now, check out its main features.
- Notes: It is the primary tool using which users can create a new note. After creating a new note user also need to specify its Title, Author Name, Tag Name, etc. After that, users can start writing text on newly created notes.
- Edit Properties: This tool is mainly designed to edit properties of a note such as a title name, tag name, added URL link, etc.
- Editing and Formatting Tools: Similar to other OneNote alternatives, it also comes with various editing tools such as Underline, Bold, Italic, Insert Link, Change Font, etc.
- Export: After creating and editing a note, users can easily export it in PDF document format.
- Synchronize: Through this feature, users can synchronize their notes with any cloud system.
- Tags: At the time of notes creation, users can specify a tag name using which users can tater detect all the notes with the same tag name.
It is another capable open source OneNote alternative software that carries all the essential features of OneNote.
We are the team behind some of the most popular tech blogs, like: I LoveFree Software and Windows 8 Freeware.More About Us
- December 2022
- November 2022
- October 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- July 2022
- June 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014