10 Best Free PLY to STL Converter Software for Windows
Here is a list of Best Free PLY to STL Converter Software for Windows. PLY (Polygon File Format or Stanford Triangle Format) and STL (Stereolithography) both are 3D file formats used to carry 3D models and designs. To be able to convert a 3D model from PLY to STL file format, you need a software that supports 3D model conversion between these two formats. Hence, I have created this list that contains all those software which can be used to convert PLY to STL. Apart from STL, you can also convert PLY files to OBJ, 3DS, VRML, DAE, and some other 3D file formats.
Almost all these are 3D model viewer and builder software, while one of these is a dedicated batch 3D model converter. Using it, you can convert a whole folder of PLY files to STL format at once. On the other hand, 3D modeling software can be used to view, analyze, and even edit the imported PLY model prior to conversion. The tools provided for editing mainly include mesh building tools, extrude, drawing shapes, scale, rotate, flip, translate, and many more. In general, these are feature rich software with an additional feature of converting PLY to STL format.
The steps required to convert PLY models to STL format are also very easy to use. You can checkout the software description to know the exact procedure.
My Favorite Free PLY to STL Converter Software for Windows:
Spin 3D Mesh Converter is my favorite software as it is a straightforward software that allows you to batch convert PLY to STL.
If you want a featured 3D modeler that can change the format of PLY file to STL, you can try FreeCAD or Autodesk Meshmixer.
Spin 3D Mesh Converter
Spin 3D Mesh Converter is a free PLY to STL converter software for Windows. It is a dedicated 3D file converter that supports batch conversion. So, you can convert multiple PLY files to STL format at once using it. Apart from STL, you can convert PLY to other formats as well including 3DP, 3DS, 3MF, PLY, and OBJ. It also lets you preview the 3D model of PLY files prior to conversion.
How to convert one or multiple PLY files to STL format in Spin 3D Mesh Converter:
- Firstly, add PLY files or folders containing PLY files to this software.
- Now, select the output format as STL and click the Effects button to perform some basic editing on output such as rotate, scale, translate, etc.
- After that, enter the output location and press the Convert button.
It is a great batch PLY to STL converter software that lets you convert a set of PLY files to STL and some more 3D file formats.
FreeCAD is an open source PLY to STL converter software for Windows, Linux, and Mac. It is a popular 2D and 3D model designing software that comes with a great set of features to design models. In it, you can also import existing PLY model and then convert it to STL format. As you get a lot of design tools, you can modify the PLY file before performing the conversion.
How to convert PLY to STL in FreeCAD:
- Firstly, add a PLY model to this software using its open or import function.
- You can now make modifications to the input PLY file using tools like create shapes, create mesh from shapes, cut mesh, trim mesh, smooth, scale, move, rotate, and a lot more.
- Next, press File > Save As option and while exporting source file, select STL format as output.
It is one of the best free 3D CAD software packed with a lot of features including PLY to STL conversion.
Wings 3D is a nice 3D modeling software that also lets you convert PLY to STL. You can simply open a PLY model, view it, and then convert it to other 3D file formats including STL. Before conversion, it allows you to make modifications to imported 3D model using various modeling tools, such as extrude, shell extrude, bevel, bridge, mirror, rotate, scale, move, dissolve, tweak, material editor, etc.
It also provides a set of advanced selection tools for modification. You can also use it to simply view 3D models as it contains viewing tools like rotate, zoom, wireframe, shade, scene lights, highlight aim, orthographic view, isometric view, etc.
How to convert PLY to STL in Wings 3D:
- Simply import a PLY file to this software using File > Import > PLY option.
- Now, if you want, you can edit the PLY model before starting the conversion.
- After that, you can convert edited or original PLY file to STL model by using its File menu > Export > StereoLithography (.stl) function.
It is another good software that is used for 3D modeling and can also be used for PLY to STL conversion.
Autodesk Meshmixer is yet another free PLY to STL converter for Windows and Mac. Like many other listed software, it is also a 3D modeling software that provides a variety of handy design tools. It lets you open, view, edit PLY model and then convert it to another supported 3D file format. One of the supported output formats includes STL. Besides STL, 3MF, DAE, PLY, VRML, and more formats are supported as output in it.
How to convert PLY to STL in Autodesk Meshmixer:
- Firstly, import the source PLY file containing a 3D model.
- Next, if required, modify the model with available tools including make solid, hollow, make pattern, 3D sculpting tools, surface stamping, mirror, scale, translate, rotate, duplicate, align, plane cute, close cracks, etc.
- Now, press the Export button present on the main interface and while exporting, set STL as output format.
- Lastly, hit the Save button and it will start converting imported PLY model to STL file format.
- It contains an Analysis tool that allows you to inspect and analyze a 3D model based on various parameters such as 3D measurement, extreme thin area highlighter, mesh defects inspector and repairer, structural weakness finder, optimal orientation evaluator, etc.
It is a great software that helps you build a 3D model as well as convert a 3D model from one supported format to another, e.g., PLY to STL.
MeshLab is another free open source 3D modeler which can be used to convert PLY to STL. In it, you can open various 3D model files including PLY and then convert the source file to any other supported format like STL. Besides that, you can also make changes to input 3D file with provided tools. Now, let’s check out a sorted procedure to convert PLy to STL using it.
How to convert PLY to STL in MeshLab:
- Using its Import Mesh option to open a PLY file.
- If you want, you can edit the PLY file as needed.
- Finally, click on File menu > Export Mesh As option, choose STL as export format, customize options like binary encoding, materialise color encoding, etc., and then press Save option to start the conversion.
It comes with a variety of filters like remeshing, simplification and reconstruction, color creation and processing, quality measures and computations, point set, sampling, texture, cleaning and repairing, etc., to apply over models. You can also find various Rendering, Transformation, 3D printing, 3D Acquisition, Color Mapping and Texturing, Measurement, Analysis, and more tools in this software.
It is quite a feature rich 3D modeling software that also offers a 3D model conversion feature using which you can convert PLY to STL.
Blender is a feature-rich 3D modeling and animation software for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It can also be used as a PLY to STL converter as it supports both the formats as input and output.
In it, you can open and convert 3D models in a variety of formats including PLY, 3DS, OBJ, DAE, STL, FBX, etc. As you open a PLY file, you will be able to visualize the 3D model and you can even modify it if required. For editing, use tools like mesh generation tools (plane, circle, UV sphere, cylinder, cone, curve, lamp, etc.), translate, rotate, scale, mirror, shading, and more. Other than that, it can be used for video editing as well.
How to convert PLY to STL in Blender:
- First, use its File > Import > PLY option in order to open a PLY file in it.
- Now, if there are some changes needed to be made to the existing model of PLY file, you can do that with offered tools.
- After that, you can convert the format of imported 3D model to STL format by clicking the File menu > Export > STL option.
It is a powerful 3D modeling and animation software that you can also use to convert PLY to STL and some other 3D file formats.
DeskArtes View Expert
DeskArtes View Expert is yet another free PLY to STL converter software for Windows. It is basically a 3D model viewer that can also convert 3D file formats. It offers a Save As feature using which you can export a PLY file to STL and some other formats. It supports 3DS, VRML, DXF, SLI, and more output formats.
How to convert PLY to STL in DeskArtes View Expert:
- At first, open a PLY model which you can view and analyze using rotate, move, scale, zoom, pan, ortho view, spin view, and more tools.
- Now, click File > Save As function and select output format as STL to perform conversion on PLY file.
It is a great 3D model viewer that can also be used to convert PLY models to STL format.
MeshMagic is a simple 3D model viewer and builder software that also acts as a PLY to STL converter. Like other listed software, it also supports PLY format to import 3D model and then convert the model to STL format using its save as feature. Apart from PLY and STL, it supports some more 3D file formats as input and output, such as OBJ, FBX, 3DS, 3MF, etc.
It provides very easy to use tools to edit existing models or to create new 3D models. These tools include create 2D shapes, extrude 3D from 2D outline, convert 2D object to 3D, move, rotate, scale, etc.
How to convert PLY to STL in MeshMagic:
- The first step is to open and view a PLY model.
- The second step is optional i.e. if you want to edit input PLY file, you can do that using provided tools.
- The last step is to use its Save As option and as output, select STL format and then click the Save button to start conversion.
It contains a set of 3D model analysis tools that may come in handy, e.g., Backface Culling, Invert Normals, Recalculate Normals, Reverse Winding, Duplicate Objects, Group/ Split Objects, etc.
It is a very easy to use 3D model generator which lets you import PLY file and then convert it to STL format.
Open 3D Model Viewer
Open 3D Model Viewer, as the name suggests, is a dedicated 3D model viewer that can also be used as a PLY to STL converter. You can open and view a PLY model in it and then perform PLY to STL conversion. Other than STL, it also supports DAE, IGES, PLY, STP, IFC, and some other CAD formats to convert PLY files.
How to convert PLY to STL in Open 3D Model Viewer:
- Import a 3D model from PLY file using its open option.
- Now, from its File menu, use the Export option and customize various output settings including the output format (STL). Some other options that it lets you configure include use relative texture paths, include scene hierarchy, include animations, etc.
- When done setting up configurations, press the Export button to quickly start PLY to STL conversion.
It is an easy to use 3D model viewer with an additional export feature that lets you convert PLY to STL.
Gmsh is one more free PLY to STL converter software for Windows. You can convert a PLY file to STL and various other formats using it, such as STEP, WRL, X3D, and other mesh formats. It also lets you convert PLY or any other 3D model to an image in formats like PNG, JPG, EPS, GIF, SVG, etc.
Apart from model conversion feature, you can find more handy tools in it such as statistics viewer, geometry builder tools, mesh creation tools, manipulator, and more.
How to convert PLY to STL in Gmsh:
- Firstly, open a PLY model and you will be able to view the 3D model and respective information on its interface.
- Now, from the File menu, use the Export option and then choose STL in the export dialog window.
It is a nice 3D model viewer and editor which also lets you convert a 3D model present in PLY file to STL format.
We are the team behind some of the most popular tech blogs, like: I LoveFree Software and Windows 8 Freeware.More About Us
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014