8 Best Free Portable Word Processor Software for Windows
Here is a list of Best Free Portable Word Processor Software for Windows. These are the word processing software that come in a portable package. The main advantage of a portable software is that it can be carried in portable storage devices and can be used on the go. You don’t have to install it on your system to use it. So, all these software let you process text documents without installing them on your system.
You can find all required tools in these portable word processors. These software support a good number of import and export formats including DOC, DOCX, ODT, RTF, TXT, XML, HTML, PDF, etc. You can easily import a document in a supported format and edit it. These also let you create a document from scratch. You can add simple text and insert images, text art, header, footer, page numbers, and more objects to a document. Apart from that, you can even add a table of content listing main sections of your document. These also let you format content as per your requirements as well as set up document layout.
Besides main functions, you can find handy tools like spellcheck, auto-correct, thesaurus, mail merge feature, and more. You can also encrypt your documents in some portable word processors. All in all, these are quite feature word processing software which come in portable packages.
My Favorite Free Portable Word Processor Software for Windows:
LibreOffice Writer is one of the most feature rich word processor on this list. It contains all standard plus various advanced tools to process documents. Plus, it supports a variety of file documents.
FocusWriter is another nice one in case you want a distraction free wiring software.
LibreOffice Writer is a feature rich word processor that also comes in a portable package. You can find its both installer and portable versions on its official website. This software come with other office utilities including LibreOffice Calc, LibreOffice Base, LibreOffice Impress, LibreOffice Math, and LibreOffice Draw. The entire office package is called LibreOffice which is a powerful free office suite.
Talking about its feature set, it is packed with a lot of advanced tools that help you process word documents. It provides multiple templates like CV, Resume, MediaWiki, etc., which let you create different kinds of documents. Plus, it supports a wide number of document formats to view, edit, and create documents. Some of the supported formats including Word document (DOC, DOCX), OpenDocument Text Document (ODT), XML, HTML, RTF, TXT, PDF, and EPUB.
Main Features of this Portable Word Processor:
- You can directly insert various types of content to your documents including text box, comment, images, icons, shapes, hyperlink, bookmark, cross-references, tables, special characters, fontwork, header and footer, page number, etc.
- It lets you create and insert table of content and index to your documents.
- It offers different elements to insert a form to documents such as label, text box, option box, check box, list box, combo box, push button, image button, image control, table control, etc. You can use Form Navigator to manage individual elements pf added form.
- You can set up document layout and style as per your need such as like text formatting, spacing, alignment, anchor, arrange, text style, bullet list, number list, watermark, etc. Furthermore, it provides direct options to style document pages like title page, first page, left page, right page, footnote, endnote, HTML, etc.
- You can find a lot of handy tools in it that help you process document e.g., spell check, thesaurus, word count, autocorrect, chapter numbering, line numbering, bibliography databases, etc.
- It provides Mail Merge Wizard feature to share documents with multiple number of people at once.
- You can add a password to encrypt a document while saving it.
- You can digitally sign a document to add extra security to it.
It is one of the best free open source portable word processor which comes with a variety of tools to process text documents. There are a lot more feature than the listed one that you can explore while using it.
AbiWord is another free open source portable word processor for Windows. It is one of the popular word processing software used for document creation. It is very easy to use yet quite effective in terms of functionalities. You can find all standard word processor tools in it. Here is a list of features that you get in it.
- In it, you can process documents in formats like DOC, DOCX, RTF, HTML, TXT, etc
- It offers some predefined templates to create a specific type of document like Business Report, Friendly Letter, Memo, Resume, Press Release, and more.
- You can add a variety of elements to your documents such as normal text, table of content, pictures, direction marker, date & time, field, mail merge field, bookmarks, etc.
- It allows you to enter a table of your document from its Table menu. Plus, you get some handy table management tools in this menu such as Convert Text to Table, Convert Table to Text, Autofit Table, Merge Cells, etc.
- You can also insert header and footers, footnotes and endnotes, text from an external file, special characters, and more to your documents.
- It offers all basic formatting tools such as font type, font size, font color, text highlighter, alignment, text style, bullets, numbering, etc.
- It contains a Collaboration tool that lets you add multiple collaboration accounts to share documents with other users.
- You can also find more helpful features in it such as URL Dictionary, Check Spelling, Word Count, Mail Merge, Revisions, Document History, Google Search, etc.
- You can also create annotations in your documents.
It is a clean and intuitive portable word processor software which provides a good number of document processing tools and features.
FocusWriter is yet another free portable word processor software for Windows. It is basically a distraction free writing software that helps you focus more on your words than anything else. In it, you can create word documents as well as import existing documents and edit them. To do so, it supports various input and output formats including DOCX, FODT, ODT, TXT, and RTF. Now, lets see what features are provided in it.
Main Features of this Portable Word Processor:
- It lets you write in full screen mode without any distraction.
- It provides some background themes to choose from in order to develop a fantasy environment in order to pour in your thoughts in words.
- It lets you insert symbols (blocks or scripts) to a document such as musical symbols, ancient symbols, vertical forms, specific language symbols, etc.
- Some standard formatting options are provided in it which you can use to format text, such as align text, bold, italic, strikethrough, superscript, subscript, increase/ decrease paragraph indent, left to right/ right to left writing direction, etc.
- You can set up your daily goals to write a number of words within a time limit.
- It shows total word, paragraph, page, and character count at the bottom of the document.
- It lets you set up timer which acts as a reminder while you write.
It is a good software for creative writers who want a distraction free environment to write a text document.
OOo4Kids Writer is yet another free, open source, and portable word processor for Windows. It comes with a fully featured office suite “OOo4Kids” that is primarily designed for kids. It is easy to use and contains only essential tools, hence suitable for kids. You get document, spreadsheet, drawing, and presentation software in this package. Let’s checkout main functions of its word processing application.
- It can handle documents of various formats that include DOC, TXT, HTML, XML, RTF, etc.
- It lets you add various kinds of objects to your document like image, math formula, audio, video, etc.
- You can format added content as per your requirement as well as set up document layout the way you want.
- It provides a document encryption feature that lets you password protect your documents.
It is a nice free portable word processor which is well suitable for kids and novice users.
ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors
ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors is one more free portable word processor for Windows. Although its official website doesn’t provide a portable version, you can find one on the link given on Download Page. It is basically an office software with document, spreadsheet, and presentation processing modules. You just need to click its Document module and then you will be able to create various types of documents. Let’s checkout some of its main features that you can look forward to.
Key Features of this Portable Word Processor:
- It supports commonly used document formats to view, edit, and create documents e.g., DOCX, TXT, RTF, ODT, PDF, etc.
- You get a dedicated Layout tab which lets you configure layout of your document as per your specifications, like margins, orientation, size, columns, page breaks, footnote, bookmark, etc.
- It lets you add images, charts, shapes, hyperlinks, text box, text arts, equations, tables, and more content to your documents.
- You can insert a Table of Content to list different sections and chapters of your document.
- It also lets you password protect and encrypt documents so that only the one who are authorized can access the content of document.
- You can also customize paragraph settings, image settings, table settings, text settings, etc., and use other formatting options such as bold, italic, highlight, alignment, font formatting, etc.
- It offers a Plugin tab from where you can add cliparts, edit photos, extract text from files using OCR, use symbol table, send document via email, use Thesaurus, record macros, and more.
It is a good office software which also provides a word processor to create and edit documents in several formats.
TextMaker is the next free portable word processor for Windows. It comes in SoftMaker Office package which contains one more office application called PlanMaker (spreadsheet processor). This office suite comes in installer version too; you can find the installer counterpart here.
- It works well with some commonly used document formats such as TXT, DOC, ODT, HTML 4.0, etc.
- You can insert various elements to your document like smart text, symbols, cross-reference, bookmarks, images, table, grid, OLE object, etc.
- You can also add a table of content to a document in this software.
- It lets you format added text and other content using standard tools like font formatting, alignment, bullet & numbering, etc.
- Some other features like Thesaurus, Check Spelling, Create Database, and more are provided in it.
It is a decent portable word processor which provides all standard word processing features.
CopyWriter is another free portable word processor on this list. It supports two document formats including RTF and TXT to open, view, edit, and save document. It is quite a basic word processor in which you get only some standard features. Let us checkout those features.
- It lets you directly insert date & time and characters to a document.
- You can create a list of auto words which you can quickly enter to your text document.
- It provides all basic formatting functions such as bold, italic, underline, highlight, alignment, font formatting, etc.
- Basic search features including find & replace, mark line, go to line, and more are available in it.
- At the bottom of this document writer, you can view document statistics including number of words, characters, lines, and pages.
It is a very basic portable document processor to write and save text documents.
ZetaWord is another one of portable word processor for Windows on this list. It is another text document processor with some basic features. You can import RTF and Plain text document in it. In it, you get three features namely Word Count, Sort Alphabetically, and Reverse Line Order. That’s it. It doesn’t provide any other major features.
It is yet another portable word processor with only few selective features.
We are the team behind some of the most popular tech blogs, like: I LoveFree Software and Windows 8 Freeware.More About Us
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014