5 Best Free Portable EPUB Reader Software for Windows
Here is a list of Best Free Portable EPUB Reader Software for Windows. All these software come in a portable package that you can use to read Electronic Publication eBooks (EPUB) on the go. You can simply open and view EPUB eBooks through these software without actually installing them on your system. These can also be carried in portable storage devices (flash drives, USB, etc.) while traveling and use whenever required. Some software also come with a separate installer version which you can check on respective websites.
All these provide good viewing features that enhance your EPUB reading experience. Features like zoom in, zoom out, search text, page navigation options, font size, font type, page layout (single or double page view), color, and more are provided in most software. Additionally, many software also provide a dedicated eBook library, table of content, and bookmarks sections to view respective data. Apart from these standard tools, some interesting features can also be found in a few software including Night Mode, Text to Speech Converter, eBook Metadata Editor, Download eBooks, etc.
Apart from EPUB, many of these portable eBook readers can also be used to read books in formats like MOBI, FB2, PDF, HTML, Comic Books, etc. All in all, these are quite feature rich EPUB reader software which come in portable packages.
My Favorite Free Portable EPUB Reader Software for Windows:
Cool Reader is my favorite software as it provides most number of EPUB reading features including a unique feature called “Read Aloud“.
You can also try the popular eBook management software called calibre as it has its portable counterpart too.
Cool Reader is a nice portable EPUB reader software for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android. It is basically an eBook reader that supports a variety of eBook formats including EPUB. Other formats that it supports include FB2, TXT, RTF, DOC, TCR, CHM, PDB, MOBI, and HTML. You can simply browse and open an EPUB eBook in it using its inbuilt file explorer. All the recently opened books are shown in a dedicated section on its main interface.
- It categorizes your eBooks on the basis of authors, titles, series, filename, etc., in its Library section.
- You can search and find a specific text in the entire EPUB eBook.
- You can view Table of Content and Bookmarks from respective sections.
- To navigate from one page to another, you can use mouse clicks.
- It displays EPUB eBook in double page facing mode by default. You can change the mode to single page view by going to Reader Settings section.
- You can customize a lot of display related parameters including fonts and colors, page layout, interface settings, text formatting, etc.
- It provides a Night Mode feature to read EPUB eBook in a dark theme.
- A handy Read Aloud feature is provided which basically converts eBook text to speech and dictate it to you.
It is one of the best portable EPUB readers that provides all essential reading features with a few advanced tools including a text to speech converter.
calibre is another portable EPUB reader for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is a feature rich eBook management software that comes with several eBook related tools and utilities including an eBook viewer. It comes in both installer and portable versions which you can download from its official download page given below.
Apart from EPUB, it supports a lot more eBook formats to open and read books. These eBook formats include LIT, PDF, HTML, Comics, Mobipocket, PRC, DOC, DOCX, and more. A separate View feature is provided in it which opens a dedicated reading window. In this eBook reading window, you can view content of EPUB eBooks using a variety of options. These options are visible when you right-click the reading window. Now, let’s checkout its main features.
- Standard reading features like lookup/ search, go to reference number, previous page, next page, etc., are available in it.
- It lets you quickly move to a particular section of EPUB eBook using Table of Content.
- Bookmarks can also be accessed from the dedicated section.
- If you want to read EPUB eBook without any distraction, you can toggle its fullscreen mode.
- Some display configurations can be set up such as font, text layout, full-screen options, colors & background, page flip/ scrolling options, etc.
- You can check basic information of an EPUB eBook too.
It provides a variety of eBook utility tools including eBook editor, bulk eBook metadata editor, download eBooks, eBook converter, and more.
If you want an all in one eBook management and utility software, then go for this portable EPUB reader.
Sumatra PDF is a free portable EPUB reader for Windows. As its name implies, it is used to view PDF documents, but it also supports EPUB, Mobi, XPS, DjVu, CHM, CBZ, and CBR files to import and read. It provides all standard eBook reading tools and features that you require to read EPUB eBooks. Let’s checkout what are those features.
- You can open multiple EPUB eBooks at a time in it as it has a multi-tab interface.
- As you open an EPUB eBook in it, it shows related Bookmarks (at right) and the actual content on its interface. You can easily move to any of the bookmarks from the left panel.
- It provides arrow buttons at left and right for page navigation. Or, you can use dedicated menu options to do so.
- You can change EPUB eBook view to Single Page or Double Page (Facing) mode.
- It offers a handy fullscreen mode to read EPUB eBook without distraction.
- Some preferences can also be customized to read EPUB eBooks, such as Default Zoom, Default Layout, Interface Language, etc.
- You can also view the basic information of an EPUB eBook.
It is one of the easiest software to read EPUB eBooks and other documents which comes in both installer and portable version. You can checkout its download page to get its installer counterpart.
BookReader is another good portable EPUB reader for Windows. It is a dedicated software in which you can read eBooks of only EPUB format. Using its add (+) button, you can simply browse an EPUB eBook and open and read it. All the recently opened EPUB eBooks are organized in its library from where you can search for a particular EPUB eBook.
- It lets you quickly navigate from one page to another using your mouse.
- It displays the percent of book content you have read.
- You can access the table of content as well as bookmarks using the dedicated button from the toolbar.
- Basic EPUB metadata can also be viewed through this software.
- A lot of display and other settings can be configured such as font, font size, color scheme, line spacing, margin, etc.
- On its main interface, statistics regarding each eBook can be viewed such as read percentage, minutes read, etc.
Overall, it is a simple portable EPUB reader that comes with basic functionalities and tools to read eBooks.
Sigil is a popular open source EPUB eB0ok editor for Windows and Mac. It can also be used to open and read EPUB eBooks. The portable version of this software is provided by PortableApps.com. If you want, you can download its fully featured installer version from here.
In this portable EPUB reader, you can view the content of EPUB eBook in the Preview window. It also provides the code view of the eBook which you can manually edit. You also get various inbuilt editing features to edit EPUB eBooks such as Insert (File, Special Character, ID, etc.), Format (Heading, Alignment, Text Direction, Bold, Italic, etc.), etc.
Let’s see what are the view related features that you get in this software to read EPUB eBooks.
- To move from one page or section to another, you need to use its Table of Content window.
- While reading an EPUB eBook in the Preview window, you can use “Inspect Page or Element” feature to check properties related to a selected element.
- You can zoom in/ zoom out using respective options or Ctrl + = / Ctrl + – hotkeys.
- A Book Browser is provided in it to view separate elements of an EPUB eBook.
- You can create an EPUB eBook by merging multiple existing EPUB, HTML, and CSS files.
- It lets you print imported EPUB eBook.
- You can handy eBook editing tools including Add Cover, Edit Metadata, etc.
In terms of a reading software, it is quite a basic portable EPUB reader. But, it is a great EPUB eBook editing software.
We are the team behind some of the most popular tech blogs, like: I LoveFree Software and Windows 8 Freeware.More About Us
- June 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014