5 Best Free Open Source Android Keyboard Apps
Here is a list of best free open source Android keyboard apps. These keyboard apps are similar to any other Android keyboard through which you can type in both vertical and landscape modes. However, these keyboard apps are also open source that enables users to download, study, and modify their source codes without any restriction.
Most of these keyboard apps are specially designed for programmers who continuously need Function, Ctrl, Shift, and other keys. Although, they also let users change the keyboard layout for general typing. All these keyboard apps by default, follow the QWERTY standard. However, some apps give options to change keyboard layout according to Azerty and Devorak keyboard standards. These apps also come with multiple themes to change the look and color profile of keyboards. Besides this, users can also adjust the keyboard size and keys height according to their requirements.
Many keyboard apps also offer modern keyboard features such as an Inbuilt Emoji library, stickers support, clipboard, Incognito Mode, GIF support, etc. Another good feature of these apps is multiple language support. In most keyboard apps, users can easily download language packages to type in another language. In general, all of these are very capable open source keyboard apps that anyone can use with ease. Go through the list to know more about these apps.
My Favorite Open Source Android Keyboard Apps:
AnySoft Keyboard is my favorite keyboard app because it offers all the features that you can expect from a model keyboard app. Plus, it also supports voice input to help users type by giving voice instructions.
AnySoft Keyboard is a free open source Android keyboard app. It is a multi-language supported keyboard app that offers all the essential keyboard features. It also offers multiple themes to change the look of the keyboard. Plus, it also supports multi-touch input. Let’s take a brief look at the main features of this open source Android keyboard app.
- Completion Dictionaries: This keyboard cannot only autocomplete words of the English language but it can auto-complete words of other languages.
- Learns Your Typing: This app learns your typing behavior to predict the next words to speed up the typing.
- Compact or Phablet Mode: This mode reduces the keyboard size so that users can type using one hand.
- Voice Input Support: Through this feature, users can type text by giving voice instructions.
- Inbuilt Emojis: In this app, you can find many inbuilt emoji icons that you can add with text.
- Multiple Keyboard Layouts: This app offers multiple keyboard layouts that users can choose according to their typing style.
- Undo, Redo, and Clipboard: With the help of this app users can perform undo and redo operations for text editing. Plus, they can also copy text that will automatically be saved in the inbuilt clipboard of this app.
It is one of the best free open source Android Keyboard app that offers all features that you can expect from a modern Keyboard app.
BeHe Keyboard is yet another free open source Android Keyboard app. This keyboard app is specially designed for programmers so that they can easily use important Function keys, Ctrl keys, Alt, keys, etc. Plus, a standard Qwerty keyboard interface for general tying use is also present in it. Now, check out the main features of this app.
- Multiple Keyboard Layouts: This app offers three keyboard layouts for different purposes namely QWERTY (it is a standard layout that you get in most keyboard apps), Arrow Keys (this layout also offers arrow keys that can be used to operate terminal), and Programing (this layout is specially designed for programming as it offers Ctrl, Alt, Function, etc., keys.).
- Themes: This keyboard comes with multiple themes to change the look and color of this keyboard app.
- Text Prediction: This feature provides multiple word predictions while typing to increase the typing speed.
- Auto Capitalization: It is another handy feature that automatically capitalizes the first letter of a word after ending a previous sentence with a period, question mark, or exclamation point.
- Key Height: Using it, users can manually adjust the height of individual keys of the keyboard.
It is a flexible open source Android keyboard app that can be used for general typing as well as for programming.
CodeBoard is the next free open source Android keyboard app. As its name suggests, it is mainly designed for programmers so that users don’t have to switch between numbers, symbols, and alphabets. Let’s take a brief look at the primary features of this keyboard app.
- Keyboard Layouts: This app offers three main keyboard layouts namely Qwerty (it is a standard keyboard layout that you get in all keyboard apps), Azerty (this layout is specially designed for users of France and Belgium), and Dvorak (this layout reduces the finger motion and improve typing speed).
- Themes: This keyboard offers multiple color themes such as Material Dark, Material Light, Pure Black, White, and more.
- Keyboard Size Adjustment: Through this feature, users can manually adjust both the portrait and landscape keyboard size.
- Replace Arrows: Through this feature, you can replace arrow keys with shortcuts like cut, copy, paste, etc.
- Manual Adjustment of Keyboard rows: This app also lets users manually adjust the keys of all rows such as top row, second row, bottom row, etc.
It is another capable open source Android keyboard app that offers a good typing environment for both general users and programmers.
OpenBoard is a free open source Android keyboard app. It is a beautifully designed keyboard app that doesn’t depend on Google binaries to improve privacy. Now, have a look at the main features of this open source Android app.
- Private Board: This keyboard app doesn’t save users typing behavior unlike many keyboard app to maintain privacy.
- Layout & Keys: Using this setting, users can adjust the size of the keyboard, add arrow keys to layout, adjust number position, add or remove top number row, etc.
- Themes: This keyboard offers multiple themes such as material dark border, material light border, holo white, holo blue, and more.
- Text Correction: It is a handy feature that automatically corrects misspelled words.
- Prediction: This keyboard also offers multiple prediction words that users can choose while typing to improve the typing speed.
- Spacebar Trackpad: It is another handy feature that helps users precisely move the cursor position by swiping over the spacebar key.
It is a simple and secure open source Android keyboard that privacy-conscious users can use.
Hacker’s Keyboard is a free open source Android keyboard app. This keyboard app offers a similar layout to a physical keyboard, unlike most other Android keyboard apps. It also offers a good typing experience if you are familiar with a traditional keyboard layout. Now, have a look at the primary features of this Android keyboard app.
- Modifier and Arrow Keys: In this keyboard, you also get various modifier keys (Shift, Ctrl, Alt, etc.) and arrow keys, that you don’t get in most other keyboard apps.
- Multi-Touch Keys: In this keyboard, you can also type using multiple fingers at a time as it supports multi-touch.
- Beneficial for ConnectBot and SSH Access: The traditional layout of this keyboard is especially helpful while typing ConnectBot and SSH Access commands.
- Multi-language Support: The layout of this app comes in multiple languages such as Spanish, Finnish, English, Thai, etc.
- This keyboard lacks many features that you get in modern Android keyboard apps like themes, emojis, customization, and more.
It is a good open source Android keyboard app if you are interested in a traditional keyboard layout with modifier and arrow keys.
We are the team behind some of the most popular tech blogs, like: I LoveFree Software and Windows 8 Freeware.More About Us
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014